Reaction score
City, State
Loogootee, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XL
WHAT I OWN
1999 Explorer XL 4X4 M50D 4.0 OHV 165,000 miles

WHAT I BOUGHT
4.0 SOHC with 93,000 miles out of 2001 Expo Sport 2wd Auto (Wrecked)

I was browsing craigslist when I came across a 4.0 SOHC with 93,000 miles on it for $500. It was suppose to come with all the wiring and Computer and I drove 2 hours to get there. Sure enough the guy couldn't find the wiring or the computer :rolleyes: ...And I still bought it...:)... So now I'm wondering if I can do this with the OHV wiring and Computer because the SOHC was in a 2WD Sport Automatic and I have a 4door M50d Manual with 4x4. I know the transmission will bolt up and so on, I'm just confused as to what wiring issues I will have besides the cam shaft position sensor(already aware of) if I use the OHV wiring harness and computer?

Or would it be easier to buy a harness for an SOHC sport that had a manual in it???

I'm not an expert and have not done this myself but if I remember correctly most people that do this swap don't even get a new computer. You shouldn't have any issues off the bat that will actually keep you from driving it I don't think. I think the 4WD has a separate computer which you would already have so I don't think that will be an issue. I think there was one thing when switching from an automatic to a manual that throws a code/warning light but doesn't effect usability. And I think there was a easy work around for that. I guess what I'm trying to say to put it short is that I think you have everything you need.

Do some searching around here. There is more than one thread on this switch. You'll probably find ones where it's a OHV to OHV switch. Like someone swapping a manual transmission into an Explorer with an automatic but they are both OHV. Those will be the same as going from a SOHC to OHV. There shouldn't be any difference between the two.

Back