2001 sport trac squeaking noise - diagnostic assistance appreciated! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 sport trac squeaking noise - diagnostic assistance appreciated!

redhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger
Hello,

I hope this post finds everyone well!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure my 01 is doing so well as there is a (now) pretty aggressive squeaking noise when I 'm braking.

It's coming from somewhere near the Front Passenger Side tire and starts when braking from 30mph and downward. It does not happen in reverse and does not happen when braking at higher speeds.

It (initially) seemed obvious to look at the brakes which a mechanic did and said there was no problem. Another mechanic said the shocks would need to be replaced soon but that they were not the culprit. Yet another mechanic said that the caliper bolts or bracket were slightly loose but there is very little play.

So far I sprayed Liquid Wrench (silicone) on the control arm bushings (upper and lower) which did not help (they do look worn somewhat but not near end of life.) I also replaced the swaybar sidelinks (which were pretty corroded) as one of the above mechanics said that was the problem...which also did not help.

I've read that frame bushings can go bad on these but don't know where they are...

So - the bottom line is I can't isolate the problem and it's getting worse...i.e...louder.

Anyway, I have attached a link to audio of the sound when braking on the road (please excuse the background noise but I thought it might help.) You can hear the sound at: 1:41 - 1:45, 1:54-1:57, 2:24-2:27, and 2:42-2:44.

http://www.filedropper.com/lgnew298

Can anyone - who perhaps had a similar issue - help me do some troubleshooting please? I have not looked at the ball joints to see if they're greased (never done that) and was also wondering if I could spray something into/onto the front shocks to see if that might help.

Any assistance would be very sincerely appreciated and I will troubleshoot as requested and follow up with this thread regularly.

This is a daily driver so it is a pretty big issue for me right now.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the insight and my apologies for the delayed reply. I think it's narrowed down to the Caliper but will update either way.

Back