2001 Sport Trac won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac won't start

Franknferter

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 109k miles on it and just yesterday it would not start. The engine turned over for a few seconds then a clicking sound followed. This lead me to believe that the starter may not be getting enough power. I then proceeded to hook up jumper cables to then truck and attempted to jump it. That did not work the clicking sound continued, but the engine did not turn. Then I pulled the starter out and took it to be evaluated, both the starter and the starter solinoid passed and "sounded ok".

Should be mentioned that the night previous to this it ran just fine with no indication that anything was wrong.

Any helps or ideas would be great.

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Group 65 batteries are noted for just dying at the drop of a hat, shorting internally and even jumping won't work. Did you have the battery checked?

Hopefully it didn't pop a head gasket and hydro-lock. Your radiator coolant at the proper level in the radiator .... not the reservoir.

Fellow Steve,
One of the reasons that I don't suspect hydro lock or something wrong inside is because it did turn over yesterday on a cold start up. Am I wrong in assuming that if it was hydro locked it wouldnt have turned over. Also would'nt one know if a head gasket blew, lots of smoke etc.
The coolent level looks to be ok.

Steve

Turn headlights on, turn ignition to start. Lights dim??? Yes,bad battery....... no, bad connection or ground ......

Push starting, assuming it's a manual transmission model, it isn't going to fix it.

I was considering attempting to push start it to see if it would run and rule out ignition adn fuel, alas didn't have to. Got it running off a jump after scrubbing the battery cables and battery terminals. However, once one one problem is fixed another will arise, and this was in the form of a dead battery...here in a bit im pulling the battery and alternator and getting them tested.

You're on the right track now I think.

I thought you were getting solenoid clicking....... I'm confused at the symptoms. Ign & fuel won't enter the picture until it turns over (cranks) properly. If it spins over and won't start first make sure the inertia switch above the right floorboard is properly set. Mash the red button.

99.9 % that it is the battery somtimes the connection to the starter gets goofed up and the end needs to b replaced u can try to jump the terminal to the battery connection to the starter with a small screw driver and c if the starter turns over make sure the park brake is on and someone to turn the key off and also somtimes if u just hit the solenoid with a hammer it will loosen it up

Back