Could anyone help--2001 Sport Trac won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could anyone help--2001 Sport Trac won't start

gmp522

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hello Fellow Ford Owners,

I am trying to assist my boyfriend with his 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. I've been told the vehile was running fine, no noises, shakes, or abnormalities with prior starts. This morning, he was unable to start his Sport Trac. The battery works, as the lights and radio work. I feel that it might be a faulty connection. Has anyone experienced this problem and can they assist me. Any advice would be grately appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please help, 2001 Sport Trac won't start

Hello Fellow Ford Owners,

I am trying to assist my boyfriend with his 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. I've been told the vechile was running fine until now and no abnormalities with prior starts. This morning, he was unable to start his Sport Trac. The battery works, as the lights and radio work. I feel that it might be a faulty connection. Has anyone experienced this problem and can they assist me? Any advice would be grately appreciated. Thank you.

Hi there! When you turn the key, what happens? Any sounds? Thanks!

Thanks for your assistance, hear is what it sounds like...

On the initial attempt to ignite, it sounds like the engine turns over a little bit. This quickly stops, and then you hear a repeated click each time you turn the key to start it. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is a fan blowing noise coming from something located directly in front of the passengers seat and connected to the engine.

HI Al

Thanks for your assistance as well. I went online and read that the fuel pump might have something to do with it; however, I have no idea how to locate the fuel pump and to remedy the situation if it is the fuel pump. The solutions said I should just turn the key, so the lights on the dash board lights-up, wait 5 minutes to reset the fuel pump, and then try to start. Obviously this did not work and my car knowledge is limited. Again, any help, directions, and web links that would provide assistance would be extremely appreciated.

On the initial attempt to ignite, it sounds like the engine turns over a little bit. This quickly stops, and then you hear a repeated click each time you turn the key to start it. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that there is a fan blowing noise coming from something located directly in front of the passengers seat and connected to the engine.

Cranks then clicks. Sounds like it needs a jump to me.

Radio works..

The radio and headlights work thought? If the battery was dead, I thought they'd wouldn't work. Please tell me it is that simple. Thanks

They will work even though there is not enough power to start the truck.

Yep. Clicking is a sign of a battery lacking juice. If it's the OEM battery and is six-seven years old, it simply may be at the end of its life.

Not to kick a dead horse, but as noted above, give it a jump. If it turns over, you'll need a new battery. You can get a Duralast for about a hundred greenbacks.

Not kicking a dead horse...

Thanks. Will try to get a jump tomorrow. Keep you posted if this doesn't work. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Mine just did the same a bit back... a cell in the battery died. We kick dead horses here all the time (jk) you're in good company! Good luck!

Back