• Register Today It's free!

2001 ST 2WD rear differential

Loren Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Girard, PA. 16417
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi all. I have a 2001 ST 2WD with a leaking rear end. I need to replace the gasket and refill but not sure which fluid to use. Would I have a traction-lok differential or a convential? The door tag on my track is gone so no help there.

Hi all. I have a 2001 ST 2WD with a leaking rear end. I need to replace the gasket and refill but not sure which fluid to use. Would I have a traction-lok differential or a convential? The door tag on my track is gone so no help there.
Look on cover, most have a tag held on by one of the bolts. I believe I used 75/140 oil with inhibitor

Just looked. Yes 75/140. 2005 2wd sport Trac. No gasket needed. Black peratex. Came from factory without gasket. I used just over two bottles.

You can use any 75W-140 gear oil, but if you can discover it has an LS, you can add that too. Find the tag on the rear cover, look very carefully at the characters on it. The gear ratio is stamped on it, and the "L" in those if it's an LS. A 3.73:1 gear will show "3 73" or "3L73" depending on whether it has an LS or not.

It should take about 2.5 quarts, so have three to start with.

Back