2002-2005 Explorer Towing Summaries | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 Explorer Towing Summaries

msg180

Reaction score
This is a topic that has been covered all through out the forum (I literally have read them all), but you gotta "read between the lines" on a lot of the advice/answers/responses. This is little lengthy, but hopefully it will help first timers, especially the folks at there with a v8 and 3.55 rear end as it seems we are the ones with all the towing questions....

I have a 2004 Explorer 2WD XLT with the 4.6L V8 and the 3.55 rear-end and it came factory with the Class II hitch. I bought this Explorer used (36,0000 miles) and the guy before me had a class III/IV receiver installed below the class II receiver along with the 7-pin connector and trailer brake controller.

Mine, as described above has everything that the factory tow package gives you with the exception of the 3.73/3.73LS rear end ratio, correct? The 3.73LS helps in muddy, slippery, or snowy conditions, and the reason there is a 3.73 and a 3.73LS is because you do not need the Limited Slip with the Stabilitrac....

From what I have read the Factory Tow Package is as follows:
Class III receiver
7 pin connector
tranny cooler (even though I have read that it is standard on all 04 and above)
3.73/3.73LS rear end
Possible an engine oil cooler from what some posts have said

I just bought a 4000lb camper w/ weight distribution hitch (23 foot). I recently had it out on the highway and it towed just fine (I live on the flats in florida). Power was not a problem at all. Of course I wouldn't want to take it through the mountains, but it held 60-65 on the highway rather easily (i.e. I wasn't using much gas, it was content in 4th gear, and the engine wasn't laboring very hard, I was impressed).

My questions...

Is there anything else that differs in the tow package? I have the tranny cooler (i'v traced the lines from the transmission). It has the class III/IV hitch, it has the 7 pin connector, it has the brake controller. The only difference I can take from this forum is that I have the 3.55 axle ratio versus the 3.73/3.73LS. I guess I'm looking for confirmation that the only difference between the 3.55 axle and 3.73 axle is the gearing ratio. Does the set up with the 3.73 include a beefier suspension? The 3.73 lets the engine spin at higher RPMs (versus the 3.55) at the same speed thus putting less strain on the powertrain (specifically the tranny) which is why Ford rates it at a higher load. I wish there was a rating for what the 4.6L is rated to tow when equipped with everything needed for class III towing, minus the 3.73 rear-end like in my case. I have looked everywhere with no success. It tows fine, and with supplies etc, I was looking at about 5000-5250 lbs. This weight is far less than the 7100 lbs I would be rated to pull if I had the 3.73 rear end.

I am not interested in any comments that are pointed at "why I didn't consider these questions before I bought the trailer?" I had a small window of time to buy or pass on the purchase and I had read every post about towing in this forum and decided that I would be able to do it with my set up for the short trips I would initially be taking it on. But before I take it on a longer trip (greater than an hour) I want to see if I can get a better idear at what is going on. With the 3.55 I would have to worry about tranny temp on longer runs, but again, It is all flat as can be in florida, and also, the truck doesn't seem to be struggling at all to maintain the 60-65 mph mark. It would probably be a good idea to have a transmission temp gauge installed to see if additional cooling is needed.

The V8 regular and V8 with tow package are identical mechanicially with the exception of the axle ratio 3.55 vs. 3.73 and the class III/IV hitch and is prewired for the 7way RV connector and trailer brake controler.

The V6 tow package is also the same, with the exception of a Engine oil cooler for the tow package V6. ALL (02+) explorers have transmission coolers, and all V8's have oil coolers.

If you switched your gears out, you'd be able to tow ~7000 lbs. although anyone with the rear climate control has to subtract 500 lbs.
I'd say without rear climate control your truck can probably comfortably tow 5500 to 6,000. I don't think I'd ask much more than that out of it.

My guess is that the spring rates ARE increased with the tow package, and probably has alot to do with the decrease rating for the rear climate (the additional weight over the rear axle)

One thing you could check is the GVWR of your explorer (on the driver door jamb) My GVWR is 5,860. You can also see what the Axle rating is for front and rear and list that here..

My truck is rated at 7,000 lbs, (tow package/advancetrac/V8) I'm about to purchase a travel trailer that weighs in 3,500 dry, and probably about 4,500 lbs going down the road. I don't think I'd want to tow a big box much heavier than that, as it would limit where I could go with it (high altitude/mountains). Ford says the max frontal area of the trailer is 60sq ft for the early gen 3's, and 40 for the newest and gen 4 models.

Back