• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.6 rear coolant leak

Intenseman

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I've been reading a lot about the intake manifold leaks. The leak that I'm dealing with appears to be coming from the back. The drip is coming off the bottom of the engine by the tranny. I've yet to pull the engine cover off to take a look back there. I've also done the tread repair in the #3 cylinder (? second from the back on passenger side) from a blown out plug.

Has anyone experienced a leak from this location?

Also, is the Dorman intake replacement worthwhile or should I go OEM?

Thanks,
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it actual antifreeze dripping, or more like plain water?

Number 4, it's antifreeze for sure.

lincolnshibuya, for sure it's the manifold and not just the gasket, eh?

Thanks for the replies,
Michael

the intake manifold leak is a very common issue on the 4.6l v8. part of it is the rubber gasket on the metal crossover that fails which is separate from the manifold gasket itself.

Does this look like the leak is only coming from the seal on the thermostat?

2014-12-15171723_zpsa9fc8cc4.jpg

I went with a new doorman intake manifold. I was filling the coolant when I heard coolant pouring out on to the ground. There is a hole right next to the rear passenger side coil. The old manifold has the same hole except it doesn't go through. Anyone else ever had this situation? I'll post a picture tomorrow.

there's a plug supplied (see the note) but I used a rubber cap to seal it completely. on other models (crown vic, town car, grand marquis) this hole goes to the heater core hose I guess.

I just kept the plug on my dorman replacement and after 4 months it's still seems fine. Only thing I don't like about the dorman is no thread inserts for reuse of original hardware. Other than that I'm very happy with the availability of the dorman 615-175 even though dorman website says it won't fit......it most certainly does.

Back