2002 auto climate control not blowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 auto climate control not blowing

Zakko

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hey folks, I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer with the automatic climate control. I can only get the blower to come on in the top fan speed, high setting.

It seems that if I turn it all the way up to high and then turn the temperature up as well, the blower does slow down a bit, but not much.

I originally thought it might be a resistor problem, but since the blower seems to have the ability to slow down, I'm not so sure. Any ideas?

AC is cold, fan speed seems to be the only issue.

Fixed by replacing the equivalent part to the resistor on a non-automatic climate control system. Goes in the same location (behind the glove box) but works differently. Also costs about twice as much ($50-$60). Sorry, I don't have a part # handy.

Part # 6L24-19E624-AA

And it's not working again, nearly two years later... :rolleyes:

Update: fixed again. Same repair.

1. open glove box
2. push in on the sides of the glove box to release glove box to full open (hanging down)
3. Remove 3 exposed hex head screws to detach glove box
4. Remove 4x4 control module (rectangular box left of center behind the glove box)
5. Remove climate control module (to the left and behind where the 4x4 control module was, 1 hex screw)
6. Disconnect connector from climate control module
7. Connect new module ($50 from my dealer's parts department)
8. Install new climate control module with hex screw.
9. Test climate control functionality
10. Re-install 4x4 control module
11. Re-attach glove box with three hex screws
12. Close glove box
13. Re-test climate control functionality

Total time: ~30 minutes
Cost: $50

Back