2002 explorer 4.0 leaking anti freeze | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer 4.0 leaking anti freeze

quiversfull

Reaction score
City, State
ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford explorer
Hi I'm new to site. I was trying to find help on the internet and came across this site. My 17 yr old daughter has a 2002 explorer with 4.0 engine. My husband is unable to get under vehicle due to medical problems.Thermostat was replaced due to fluctuating gauge. Two days later dripping antifreeze driver side back of engine towards the bottom. The hoses that I can see are not wet. leaks when reservoir is filled and when engine is running. you can watch it drip from an angled black piece at back of engine towards bottom. Not a freeze plug.it protrudes out about 1/2 inch and is about 1/4 inch wide rectangular shape. Can anyone tell me what this piece is, and what kind of job it would be to replace it myself? I took a picture but cannot download here. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be the thermostat housing leaking and running down? I just replaced this on my 2003 and it was doing the same thing. These are built from plastic and crack between the halves and leak. Might want to check there.

I had to replace the intake manifold when mine was leaking coolant. plastic intake , no crack visible but leaking started at thermostat housing area. I replace it with a dorman intake manifold. but mine is the 4.6

I had to replace the intake manifold when mine was leaking coolant. plastic intake , no crack visible but leaking started at thermostat housing area. I replace it with a dorman intake manifold. but mine is the 4.6

No water in the 4.0l plastic intake manifold.

thanks for the help still couldn't figure out how to upload a photo. Did figure out that the heater core sits behind the dash and the antifreeze is leaking into the heater core and the little valve on the back side of the firewall is the overflow from that and the heater core is bad. Has hose that runs from the heater core over to the drivers side and then out the back of the firewall for over flow like air conditioning.

Back