2002 explorer chirping noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer chirping noise

northside

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls
I read alot of threads about 1998-2001 explorers with chirping noises. How about 2002-2005 explorers? I have a 2002 explorer and I thought the noise was coming from the alternator but it wasn't. Does anyone have a clue? It is driving me bonkers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two idlers and a new serpentine belt took care of mine.

Art ;)

better check your harmonic balancer before it comes apart...

Art, did you buy a more expensive type serpentine belt?
It was a mid-grade belt... About 40 bucks at Autozone. (Don't recall the brand) My old belt was actually in pretty good shape, so it was a PM kinda' thing. It's now a spare. (I always carry one)
better check your harmonic balancer before it comes apart...
I was going to change it, but upon close inspection, it's true, tight and the rubber looks perfect. (No checking/cracking/bulging)
Thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway...

The tensioner idler bearing was a tad loud, so I just changed them both. :rolleyes:

Art

My chirpping didn't go away that easily. Started with belt, cheap one helped, didn't fix. Got new tensioner not it. A year later, bought a new alternator at autoparts wharehouse .com Bosch NICE. Helped but not it, neighbor had belt dressing WOW made it crazy loud. Found out old mechanics trick, put scouring powder ( Comet ) on it. That was the trick was quiet as a mouse. For a day. Bought a Goodyear Gatorback fanbelt, Ebay for less than $30, and that was the ticket. Happily silent now.
The Comet tells you its the belt, because it won't last. The cheap belts are that CHEAP. But the alternator will make some noise, the new one is great but $140 or so.

Back