2002 Explorer LTD: I want new bulbs. Confused!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer LTD: I want new bulbs. Confused!!

Hey all. I've got a front right turn signal out, and thought that maybe I would look into getting some new headlight bulbs just for kicks. I was hoping for some of those nice looking "blueish" colored headlights that you see on sports cars and fancy cars. But I have no clue what I'm looking for, nor do I understand what I'm reading about.

First of all... are the bulbs in my 02 Ltd halogen? If I wanted to put new headlights in my veh, do I need to buy just new bulbs? Or do I need to buy some sort of relay too? At vvme.com they have single beams, hi/low beams, bi-xenon, etc. I literally have no clue what that means! I went to suvlights.com and have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking for?

I read about the recommended bulbs some of you use, but I still don't know if you can just stick these in and go, or if you need to install new things to make them work, etc. It can't be this hard! I replaced my rear hubs, bearings, and springs myself! I'm getting ready to replace the brake pads. But I never expected to be so clueless when reading about lightbulbs! LOL!

Thanks!
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok.. I just watched a video on youtube on how to install and HID Conv kit. My question now is, do the lights they sell on vvme.com come with everything you need? The bulb, the ballast, relay, wires, etc. You need one box per light right? So, my Explorer I'm assuming has one lightbulb per side up front. When I switch from Hi/Low Beam, are there two diff lightbulbs involved with that?? So, does that mean there are four headlamps, two per side?

I also read that HID's without projectors are HATED by many... that you really need to install projectors, then HID's. Whatever that means. Sounds like an expense venture just to have nice looking headlights. I'll probably not mess with it.

Here is another vid I found that helped a little.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPdaS4vfSE&feature=related

You need a 9006 bulb for your low beams. You dont have to change the high beams. You dont need bi-xenon. If you just want to stick to a simple replacement get Sylvania Silverstars. You will get a white light w/not much blue. Too much blue and you cant see in the rain. Sylvania.com If you want to go to HID then buy them from someone else than VVME as I personaly have not had good luck with them.

9006 for low beams, 9005 for high beams, and 9145 for the fogs (if XLT+ trims). HID's are what your looking for, you can get good sets off ebay (35w kits run 60-90 bucks, and 50w kits(What i run) will run 120-200 bucks). to be honest im very rarely flashed when i have my headlights on at night, and when i am, 99% of the time its because im coming over the top of a hill and they are just about to be coming down. projectors are not needed, or available, for 3rd gen explorers yet.

Thanks Bill. Why would I not need the HiBeams? Is it because the low beams will be plenty bright enough? Would I leave the factory HiBeams in and just not use them? I was looking at those Phillips bulbs yesterday on line, and it seemed like that would be a quick easy upgrade for me. Thanks for the advice!

ZeroDevil... is my 2002 Explorer a 2G or a 3G? Thanks!

2002-2005's are 3rd generation explorers, i assume your wondering about projectors? You can get a set custom retrofited, but hte actual price after all the work (even if you do it yourself!) is somewhere around 500 bucks if i remember right.

P.S. You dont NEED the high beams, its just one of those things that are nice to have, HID high beams are amazing, my 50w's have been clocked out somwhere near a mile away, so for night time highway driving they are a must for me... but there is NOTHING wrong with the factory halogen bulbs.

Well... I went ahead and got some Sylvania SilverStar's for the Low Beams. I debated on whether to spend the extra $10 and get the Ultra's, but I didn't.

I also got some Silverstar turn sig lamps since one was burned out. My orig front turn sig bulbs were yellow, but the ones I bought were white. I think since the glass is yellow on the side, it is still noticable that I'm TURNING. But I was concerned about them not being "yellow".

I COULD replace the high's if I wanted, but really, I don't use the high beams all that much. And I could replace the fog lamps as well, but rarely ever use them either. I suppose that if I did replace them with nicer ones, I could use my lows and fog's while driving?

I'm having an issue with my right side lamp assembly because it wants to point downward... and seems to be seated in there correctly. I have messed and messed with it. And when it's seated... it goes in too far, but I can't adjust it out. Yet, if I stick a screw driver under it, I can pull it out to then become even with the other side. You'd think something was broken, but it's not.

Also... when aligning the beams... how do you know if it's correct, despite being level? Too high, too low, etc? I can point them at my garage doors, but I still don't know for sure if they are too high or too low, unless I drive it. Thanks!

Jason

Philips X-treme Power bulbs. Return the Silverstars.

I had the original Silverstars. I thought they were worthless in rain or snow. The only Silverstars I would consider are OSRAM Silverstars. They don't have the blue-ish coating, so you get a brighter, whiter light.

Back