2002 Explorer No 4x4 replaced module and motor and switchs??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer No 4x4 replaced module and motor and switchs???

explorer25

Reaction score
City, State
Casper,WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 eddie bauer explorer
Hey guys whats up i have a 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer 4x4 and i have no 4x4.I replaced the 4x4 module,t-case motor and the 4x4 switchs still nothing the 4x4 lights flash at me sometimes...could it be the Electro-magnetic clutch in the t-case or maybe a speed sensor??? I unplugged the battery for 15 mins plugged it back in still no 4x4.If i unplug the 4x4 module then plug it back in the 4x4 buttons will let u select 4x4 high but it just flashs on the dash then goes out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to make sure t-case is grounded properly. I have an '03 and had the same problem. The 4x4 high light would blink 10 times then pause for about 30 sec then repeat. The 4low would engage normally but 4high would not not engage. I searched the threads I someone had mentioned the ground wire (wish I could remember who posted it to give credit and post link). I crawled under the truck, went to disconnect the wiring harness to clean the contacts and noticed the ground wire wasn't grounded. I regrounded it and haven't had an issue since.

Check to make sure t-case is grounded properly. I have an '03 and had the same problem. The 4x4 high light would blink 10 times then pause for about 30 sec then repeat. The 4low would engage normally but 4high would not not engage. I searched the threads I someone had mentioned the ground wire (wish I could remember who posted it to give credit and post link). I crawled under the truck, went to disconnect the wiring harness to clean the contacts and noticed the ground wire wasn't grounded. I regrounded it and haven't had an issue since.

Same thing happened to me. I changed the module & the dash switch and still had nothing. It turned out to be the ground on the t-case shift motor. It's worth a shot to check it out!

Bump, for an update? :dunno:

I'm having the same problems. Where exactly is the ground on the transfer case? I looked all around the transfer case and i can't find it.

I'm having the same problems. Where exactly is the ground on the transfer case? I looked all around the transfer case and i can't find it.

Can't say for sure. I had my mechanic look for it while he had it on the lift. He found the bad ground and repaired it. There is a post that explains where the ground is. I'll look for it and post a link when I find it.

Location of ground on the t-case shift motor?

I wonder if this is why my 4x4 lo doesn't engage? I have 4x4 hi but no lo. Haven't had a need for it but if one isn't working, it may not be long before the other quits, too?

Location of ground on the t-case shift motor?

I wonder if this is why my 4x4 lo doesn't engage? I have 4x4 hi but no lo. Haven't had a need for it but if one isn't working, it may not be long before the other quits, too?

I changed the module & the dash switch and still had nothing. It turned out to be the ground on the t-case shift motor. It's worth a shot to check it out!

Sorry but I don't have any info about the ground. I had my mechanic check it out one day when he had it on the lift. He found a bad ground and repaired it and all is well.

Here are a couple of pics of the transfer case shift motor from my shop manual. Hopefully it will help:

TransferCase-1Custom.jpg

TransferCase-2Custom.jpg

Bump, for an update. :dunno:

Back