2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 High Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 High Problem

Lee J

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I've been having a problem with my 4.6L V8 (250,000+ miles) intermittently getting stuck in 4x4 Hi. When this happens, there is pretty severe binding & tire scrub when making low speed, fairly tight turns on asphalt (or concrete). The "4x4 Hi" indicator light on the dash flashes off & on; I can't decide if there is a specific pattern. I could detect that the transfer case would shift into & out of 4x4 Lo. But, when shifting out of 4x4 Lo by activating the 4x4 Auto button on the dash, the intermittent sticking in 4x4 Hi continued to happen.

After trying a the battery disconnect/computer reset & replacement 4x4 control module and not fixing the problem, I took it to a local independent mechanic (Ford dealer in our area lost his franchise). This mechanic was recommended by a brakes & alignment mechanic I've had good luck with & has previously worked @ a Ford dealer.

The mechanic confirmed there were no error codes when the "stuck in 4x4 Hi" condition existed. (I wondered if problems with one or more ABS sensors could cause the 4x4CM or main computer to sporadically think the vehicle was on slippery surfaces). He then removed the transfer case shift motor/module & found there was "excess play" in the shift actuator that is moved by the shift motor/module. By manually moving the shift actuator, he was able to get it out of 4x4 Hi. I've been able to drive for hundreds of miles without the "stuck in 4x4 Hi" condition recurring...BUT, the flashing "4x4 Hi" light on the dash continues to occur & I've purposely avoided shifting the transfer case using the dashboard buttons.

The mechanic talked to someone he knows in FoMoCo & was told there is a newer version of the transfer case shift motor that has a larger range of motion. It is supposed to move the shift actuator far enough to compensate for some internal transfer case wear & fully disengage from 4x4 Hi (I visualize the equivalent of shift fork or synchro wear on a manual trans).

Does anyone know if this new transfer case shift motor really could work to fix my problem? Or, am I going to be stuck with getting a new/rebuilt transfer case? If a transfer case replacement is in my future, what do you recommend, new or rebuilt (from FoMoCo, other sources, or let the local mechanic buy needed parts & rebuild it himself)?

Lee

I had the same problem once, and from previous experience on other 4x4 vehicles, I went on reverse for as long as I could , and that solved the problem.
I went first like 50 feet, that did not work, then I went like 500 feet, maybe a bit more, you dont have to go fast, and of course be very careful were you do it, somehow 4x4 unlocks when you do this and the sensors and lights turn off also.

I've been having a problem with my 4.6L V8 (250,000+ miles) intermittently getting stuck in 4x4 Hi. When this happens, there is pretty severe binding & tire scrub when making low speed, fairly tight turns on asphalt (or concrete). The "4x4 Hi" indicator light on the dash flashes off & on; I can't decide if there is a specific pattern. I could detect that the transfer case would shift into & out of 4x4 Lo. But, when shifting out of 4x4 Lo by activating the 4x4 Auto button on the dash, the intermittent sticking in 4x4 Hi continued to happen.

I had the same problem once, and from previous experience on other 4x4 vehicles, I went on reverse for as long as I could , and that solved the problem.
I went first like 50 feet, that did not work, then I went like 500 feet, maybe a bit more, you dont have to go fast, and of course be very careful were you do it, somehow 4x4 unlocks when you do this and the sensors and lights turn off also.

Roberto, thanks for the suggestion!

I gave Roberto's suggestion a try this AM...it didn't change the existing condition of the dash "4x4 Hi" lite flashing periodically. The car remains NOT stuck in 4x4 Hi despite the dash lite indication. Note that since the mechanic moved the transfer case actuator to disengage 4x4 Hi (with the shift motor temporarily removed for manual access), I have not shifted the transfer case state using the dashboard control buttons. Nor have I driven the car in particularly slippery conditions (like mud, snow or ice).
Any comments about whether a new version shift motor might have enough extra "range of motion" to compensate for the apparent internal wear to the transfer case shift mechanism. Or, other suggestions?

Best regards,

Lee

"Roberto, thanks for the suggestion!

I gave Roberto's suggestion a try this AM...it didn't change the existing condition of the dash "4x4 Hi" lite flashing periodically. The car remains NOT stuck in 4x4 Hi despite the dash lite indication. Note that since the mechanic moved the transfer case actuator to disengage 4x4 Hi (with the shift motor temporarily removed for manual access), I have not shifted the transfer case state using the dashboard control buttons. Nor have I driven the car in particularly slippery conditions (like mud, snow or ice).
Any comments about whether a new version shift motor might have enough extra "range of motion" to compensate for the apparent internal wear to the transfer case shift mechanism. Or, other suggestions?

Best regards,

Lee[/QUOTE]"

Awww, what I shame, i was hopping you would get rid of that, it has always work for me, I had taken my boat out of a ramp and had that problem, put boat and trailer out of SUV, and gone in reverse, problem solved, hopefully someone will be able to help.

Back