2002 Explorer XLT vehicle security module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT vehicle security module

Erik Neff

Reaction score
City, State
Moses Lake, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
It doesn't matter what switch or keyfob I use, I am only able to unlock the driver's door (and back glass with keyfob) . It seems that the power is not coming out of the vehicle security module to unlock all the doors. It seems that the relay module within the security module is sticking, so I'm curious if this is something that anyone has ever dealt with taking apart and servicing? Also, this problem only started once the temperature dropped in the last few weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you my have a broken wire in the drivers door jam ,or the door lock actuators are bad,if you press the door lock button inside the truck on the door [not the key fob]and the doors dont unlock,its not the module..

I don't think you understand, it doesn't unlock anything with any of the 3 switches or key fobs except the drivers door. And it is for sure heat related. Above about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, they work when the vehicle hasn't been driven recently. Below that, only the drivers door unlocks with power until the inside of the car heats up, then they all work again. It is a common wire going from the lock switches to the security module. The security module then sends the signal out on a common wire to all but the driver's door, with a separate wire triggering the driver's door. The lock function is a single wire for all doors.
If it were a sticky/ failing actuator, it would only be one, maybe 2, not all 4. The only one that makes any noise is the driver's door for unlock when it is being problematic.
I hope that all makes sense.

Ok i did misunderstand you,i had the same issue with my 05 mountaineer, i took the module out and put a heat gun to the circuit board and really toasted it, it worked for a little while but went out again.. got one from the junk yard $20 i think.Its a bit of a pain to get to but its on the passenger side rear wheel well, if you have a keyless entry you may want to take a picture of the module the code is on the front sticker of the module..if you get a new/used one you will have to do a key fob reset with your remotes

So it sounds like it's not serviceable then? That's a bummer. Thanks for replying. That gives me something to expect anyway.

its not that hard to replace, just a bit tough to get to..The only tools needed a ratchet 7 or 9mm socket, and a 45 torx bit for the seat belt .. you dont have to take the seat belt bolt off,i think the first time i took it out it took abut 45 mins..I got better at it cause i took mine apart three times, and once at the junkyard..It was cold in January..

Back