2002 Explorer XLT Wheel Alignment... Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT Wheel Alignment... Help

DBBAMXLT

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT AWD
2002 Explorer XLT AWD.
Local shop recently replaced Rack & Pinion, Outer Tie Rod, Upper Ball Joint, and did Wheel Alignment.
First thing I noticed was steering wheel was slightly off center (a few degrees to the right).
Also noticed it's not tracking perfectly straight, pulls slightly to the right.
Brought it back next day. They test drove it and agreed with me. They did another alignment.
Drove off and guess what? Same exact situation😡
Here's the spec sheet.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you!
waresizepic.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not the alignment. It's the crappy work they did. I'd contact the owner/manager of that shop.

Local shop recently replaced Rack & Pinion, Outer Tie Rod, Upper Ball Joint, and did Wheel Alignment
First thing I noticed was steering wheel was slightly off center
Also noticed it's not tracking perfectly straight, pulls slightly to the right.
A bad alignment will not cause these to the degree you describe. And your final specs are within range.

Mismatched tires or differences in tire pressures can cause some pulling to one side even if the alignment is good. Also, I can only assume that SAI/included angle final is some kind of mistake. And it appears you may have an issue with lower control arm bushings considering before and after setback, track width and wheel base measurements. It may be possible that whoever is doing your alignment doesn't know what they're doing. Take this spec sheet to another shop and see what they think.

Mismatched tires or differences in tire pressures can cause some pulling to one side even if the alignment is good. Also, I can only assume that SAI/included angle final is some kind of mistake. And it appears you may have an issue with lower control arm bushings considering before and after setback, track width and wheel base measurements. It may be possible that whoever is doing your alignment doesn't know what they're doing. Take this spec sheet to another shop and see what they think.

Not tire related. More like incompetent tech related!
Went to another shop. Technician and manager both come out to talk to me. Asked if I recently had parts of steering system replaced. I told them the story (for those just tuning in, see my original post).
The tech asked how I even drove home! Said it was as if no alignment was done at all after rack & pinion and other parts were installed. The wheels were pointed in different directions. Which I suspected after doing a visual. Anyway, it was corrected and it no longer pulls to the right. The manager was really nice. He even suggested I bring it back in a week so they could inspect it again just to be on the safe side..
My new go-to alignment shop!
Just can't believe the initial and second alignment were bad and the second place I brought it to where they acknowledged it was bad, made it even worse!
3 times a charm.

Not tire related. More like incompetent tech related!
Went to another shop. Technician and manager both come out to talk to me. Asked if I recently had parts of steering system replaced. I told them the story (for those just tuning in, see my original post).
The tech asked how I even drove home! Said it was as if no alignment was done at all after rack & pinion and other parts were installed. The wheels were pointed in different directions. Which I suspected after doing a visual. Anyway, it was corrected and it no longer pulls to the right. The manager was really nice. He even suggested I bring it back in a week so they could inspect it again just to be on the safe side..
My new go-to alignment shop!
Just can't believe the initial and second alignment were bad and the second place I brought it to where they acknowledged it was bad, made it even worse!
3 times a charm.
That's basically what I figured. Either a new guy who didn't know what he was doing or just a crap job. Or there was something wrong with your suspension and they tried to sweep it under the rug. Didn't add up. Anyway. Glad you got it fixed!

So what now $300 spent for an alignment? Maybe go back to the first shop and get some sort of refund? Or at least they can learn what they did wrong

Sometimes I miss the old dudes with the tape measure alignments
They think they have an alignment machine so any tire tech can run it…. Wrong

So what now $300 spent for an alignment? Maybe go back to the first shop and get some sort of refund? Or at least they can learn what they did wrong

Sometimes I miss the old dudes with the tape measure alignments
They think they have an alignment machine so any tire tech can run it…. Wrong

Think of it as spending $300 to find a good alignment shop.

Back