• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer 4.0

Jackie wilhite

Reaction score
City, State
Cullman, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
I have an 02 explorer 4.0. It has a miss at idle, it smooths up above 2000 rpm but it has a lack of power. I don’t have fancy machines so I did some shadtree checking. Cylinder 1 has fire to the cylinder, I checked at the coil, removed the plug, plug is firing. I disconnected the fuel injector and there was zero change in the engine. I replaced the injector and it did not fix it. Is there something I am missing. Should I get a noid light and see if it is powered. I have 5 other injectors to check just in case, but I’m doubting the new one is bad. Is there a common problem/eco etc I am missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had problems at idle too. I had to change my spark plugs (you can order them online for $2 i would recommend irdium plugs) and thto replace the o-rings of the ignition coils (only do that if you smell gas near the engine). I would highly recommend to get an obd2 reader for $50.

I disconnected the fuel injector and there was zero change in the engine

sometimes when that happens you can have a dead cylinder. unplug fuel injector and do a compression test on that cylinder... if test is ok then swap coil with another one...

I had problems at idle too. I had to change my spark plugs (you can order them online for $2 i would recommend irdium plugs) and thto replace the o-rings of the ignition coils (only do that if you smell gas near the engine). I would highly recommend to get an obd2 reader for $50.

Um no. Use only Motorcraft SP500 plugs.

A USB OBDII for ForScan is much cheaper at $30

Back