2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L v8 NO 4 wheel drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L v8 NO 4 wheel drive

bolt_007

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 7 seats
Hello;

I have a a problem with my 4 wheel drive not engaging the front wheels
I have put the front up on jack stands and turned the wheels and they rotate in opposite directions like they are meant to. Then I tried turning the front drive shaft with the controls set to 4x4 and the drive shaft turned and the wheels turned. So I figure it is the transfer case shift motor so I follow the shift motor removal page on this web site. but my shift motor is different ie does not have any brittle bushing in side to break, motor looks clean so I put it back together and still get nothing but clicks and lights when I push the 4x4 button

so when I push the 4x4 High button the light comes on and I hear a click.
when I put it in neutral and push the break pedal and push the 4x4 Low button I here a click then the light comes on. but no four wheel drive.

any thoughts on how to proceed? thank you for your efforts! :)

ok I put the ford explorer in 4x4 Low and put the car up on ramps and pulled the shift motor off and checked that the shift motor moved the lever sticking out of the transfer case and sure enough the the shift motor worked transfer case in 4x4Low but still no four wheel drive.

would the next step be to pull the transfer case out?

does anyone have any thoughts on my issue?????

Back