• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel drive problem

bigdgsr

Reaction score
City, State
East Hampton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I got a 94 Explorer. Just picked it up about a week ago. First snow was yesterday. Go out, hit the the 4 wheel drive button and the light comes on and I can here the click in the driver rear quarter panel. Only problem no 4 wheel drive. When going you can here the front left tire make like a clicking/grind noise when trying move. You think its the shift motor or do I have another problem. Thanks in advance.

I am guessing that your '94 has automatic hub and in the case of your front left that might be the problem. When you engage 4x4 do you notice that there is the same noise coming from the front right tire? Do you also hear the sane noise when you engage to 4x4 Low? One way that you could check to see if you are getting power to the front end, the shift motor is engaging, is to go on loose ground/ sand put it in 4x4 high and in drive or first depending if it is an auto or manual and give it a good amount of gas. Check to see if any of the front tires spun and dung up to loose substrate. If you notice that the front right is marking up the ground tbut the front left isn't then it might be tikme to replace the front hubs.

Sounds like a bad auto hub to me as well. I've replaced mine with manuals after the autos started acting up a lot.

Back