2002 Ford Explorer fuel line question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer fuel line question

Shawn Mauery

Reaction score
City, State
KANSAS CITY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, quick question. I was working on my mom's 2002 Ford explorer, and was changing the valve cover gaskets, and when taking those off, I think the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail broke. The black hose pulled out. I'm looking for a replacement hose but can't find one anywhere. I tried using hose clamps to connect it back but obviously they aren't strong enough to hold that kind of fuel pressure.

It's about a 2" to 3" hose that connects after the connection from the fuel line, to the fuel rail. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I once removed the fuel line from the fuel rail, on my late production '01 Job 2 ST, while replacing the driver's side valve cover gasket. I'm assuming this fuel line would be the same as your '02's. I didn't bother putting some type of lube on the fuel line O-ring during re-installation (big mistake). It chipped the O-ring and then it leaked. I figured no big deal I'd just go to the Ford dealer and get a replacement O-ring. I was told that that part was not available separately. You had to purchase the entire forward fuel line for $220.. WTF!!!? I couldn't find an O-ring at the auto parts store either. I finely found an O-ring that was the right material and size in my buddy's junk pile. It came off of some old fuel injector he'd replaced.

Best price I could find for the forward fuel line was through Tasca Ford for $180. I was lucky to find an used O-ring that worked. If you can't find a used fuel line you're going to have to pay through the nose.

I once removed the fuel line from the fuel rail, on my late production '01 Job 2 ST, while replacing the driver's side valve cover gasket. I'm assuming this fuel line would be the same as your '02's. I didn't bother putting some type of lube on the fuel line O-ring during re-installation (big mistake). It chipped the O-ring and then it leaked. I figured no big deal I'd just go to the Ford dealer and get a replacement O-ring. I was told that that part was not available separately. You had to purchase the entire forward fuel line for $220.. WTF!!!? I couldn't find an O-ring at the auto parts store either. I finely found an O-ring that was the right material and size in my buddy's junk pile. It came off of some old fuel injector he'd replaced.

Best price I could find for the forward fuel line was through Tasca Ford for $180. I was lucky to find an used O-ring that worked. If you can't find a used fuel line you're going to have to pay through the nose.

Thank's for the reply. So that fuel line piece just pushes back in? It looks like a hard plastic black tapered piece that goes into the rest of the short rubber line connecting to the fuel rail

Thank's for the reply. So that fuel line piece just pushes back in? It looks like a hard plastic black tapered piece that goes into the rest of the short rubber line connecting to the fuel rail

I don't think so. From what I remember it's all pretty much one piece that goes from the fuel rail to a connection down near the frame (maybe all the way back to the fuel filter). I'll lock at mine later.

I hate it when OEM's use items that should be readily available....o-rings...... and then discontinue supporting replacement parts....o-rings. In that case the OEM's should provide the specs...o-rings.... so we can "search" for a suitable replacement.

Check Harbor Freight. They have several O-ring kits. Found a set for my son's A/C swap. No leaks. We just matched up what we thought would work. Use some petroleum jelly when installing O-rings.

Check Harbor Freight. They have several O-ring kits. Found a set for my son's A/C swap. No leaks. We just matched up what we thought would work. Use some petroleum jelly when installing O-rings.

Were they green?

Yes. The kit was green O-rings.

Hey guys, stopped by my moms house and got some updated pictures of what i'm working with. This line came out and i'm trying to some how secure it back in, or is there a new part I can buy? I wasn't able to separate it with my normal quick disconnect tools. It goes into a little rubber hose that goes onto the fuel rail. Never seen a setup like this before. Tried to secure it on with hose clamps but they can't hold the pressure,

fjqZDxf.png

4OLicN3.png

once again thanks in advance!

I just dealt with them doing my motor swap and fuel filter that I dont' think was ever changed in 18 years. I sprayed pb into the spring. took two piers to both sides be careful not to crush the tube since its fragil and twist. This broke the light corrosion and they came apart like butter. All four of them. I put a little layer of pertroleum jelly on the orings before reassembly.

Back