2002 ford explorer xlt shifts hard into 2nd gear and od light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer xlt shifts hard into 2nd gear and od light flashing

thomas libby

Reaction score
City, State
gorham maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
2002 explorer xlt,175 k miles on the 4.0 motor,auto etc.was spiting code for solinoid b and overdrive off flashing,check engine light on.dropped tranny pan,zero signs of metal or obvious wear,fluid looked alittle less red but didnt smell burt,replaced filter,fluids,replaced solinoid control block with new one,not rebuilt.od light came back in,still approaching 3k rpm before shifting into 2nd gear,check engine light came back in within a day.other than 2nd gear engaging hard ,all other gears shift great as well as passiing ear,no slippage or funny noises at all.ive been seeing some people are finding the problem to be the overdrive switch wires in the shift lever,get broken off or short out.could this be my problem casueing computer to get confused,im a dissabled vet and a very accomplished auto mechanic but not much of a tranny guy,please help keep me from spendiing a ton of money to solve,thanks tom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any solutions guys?its due for sticker and i need these lights to go away.

any solutions guys?its due for sticker and i need these lights to go away.
It's not OBDII emissions related, so it shouldn't affect testing. I suspect you have a worn intermediate band servo bore . You can replace both servo bore pistons with o-ring modified versions for about $210.

It's not OBDII emissions related, so it shouldn't affect testing. I suspect you have a worn intermediate band servo bore . You can replace both servo bore pistons with o-ring modified versions for about $210.
thanks but i got no clue about the internals of trannys.i just pulled the shift lever to check the od switch wiring.the wires are cracked by where the plug end is but not severed.is there a way to test the button in the end of shifter for od?i put a meter in each wire end of plug and showed continuity(would beep)when pressing the od off button and would loose when releasing it.

so i couldnt find any problems with over drive switch wiring so i put it back together.i rechecked codes and its still bringing in Code of P0775 Pres. Ctrl Solenoid B Circuit Malfunction.,even after changing fluid and filter,and replacing the shift control module solinoid block with a new one not rebuilt.the only other thing i saw when i had the tranny pan off was theres a pump looking thing off to the back passangers side of tranny and it has a screen pressed up into it,it has a rip in the screen.anyone know what the screen is and could that be my problem for some reason.

could it be a wire grounded or shorted somewhere im missing?dont have 1500 for a new tranny right now,please help.i dont trust rebuilt trannys either.

anyone know how to figure out wich transmission i have in my explorer by vin #?

anyone know how to figure out wich transmission i have in my explorer by vin #?
@thomas libby
It would be the 5R55W transmission. The code indicating "Solenoid Circuit Malfunction" indicates there may be a problem in the wiring which feeds the "B" solenoid. Replacing the solenoid won't fix that. To pinpoint location of an electrical malfunction would require starting at the PCM and tracing continuity in the harness from the PCM connector to the transmission case connector. Occasionally the harness wiring is affected by careless work allowing it to be close to exhaust heat. Most likely, I think, would be connections at the transmission case connector. If you feel it will help you, I will scan and post the wiring schematic for that connector. However, my diagrams are for 2004, and no guarantee of complete accuracy for a 2002, wire colors change sometimes. Physical location of the connections should be the same.

JK080 could help us here, in case I'm way off track. imp

@thomas libby
It would be the 5R55W transmission. The code indicating "Solenoid Circuit Malfunction" indicates there may be a problem in the wiring which feeds the "B" solenoid. Replacing the solenoid won't fix that. To pinpoint location of an electrical malfunction would require starting at the PCM and tracing continuity in the harness from the PCM connector to the transmission case connector. Occasionally the harness wiring is affected by careless work allowing it to be close to exhaust heat. Most likely, I think, would be connections at the transmission case connector. If you feel it will help you, I will scan and post the wiring schematic for that connector. However, my diagrams are for 2004, and no guarantee of complete accuracy for a 2002, wire colors change sometimes. Physical location of the connections should be the same.

JK080 could help us here, in case I'm way off track. imp
thanks for chiming in and letn me what tranny i have.thats what it seems like there is a wire screwed up somewhere.when i replaced the solinoid block with a new one,i took the 8 hex head bolts out,backed the bolt on the outside bulkhead wireing conection all the way off,and wiggled the block and removed it without pulling the bulkhead conector out of tranny case.i was trying not to disturb any wires there and cause another issue.could someone have been there before me and screwed up one the the prongs in the plug?or would it most likely be somewhere around the exhaust or something?only other thing i saw was back by the emergency brake there is a ground wire thats broken that goes from frame to chassy.

I'm willing to bet this is your problem. The aluminum bores are worn out by the steel servo pistons. This is a very common problem with this transmission. Making it to 175,000 miles before this happened is very fortunate with these transmissions.

Check out this link:
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/symptoms--solution.html

I'm willing to bet this is your problem. The aluminum bores are worn out by the steel servo pistons. This is a very common problem with this transmission. Making it to 175,000 miles before this happened is very fortunate with these transmissions.

Check out this link:
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/symptoms--solution.html
@plasticseng
Would not the servo bores when causing shifting problems generate codes more related to improper shaft speeds? Why the "Solenoid B Electrical Malfunction" code? imp

After viewing your link, I see Solenoid AND incorrect shaft speed (ratio) shown. Fail to see how the Sol. code would be thrown.

@plasticseng
Would not the servo bores when causing shifting problems generate codes more related to improper shaft speeds? Why the "Solenoid B Electrical Malfunction" code? imp

After viewing your link, I see Solenoid AND incorrect shaft speed (ratio) shown. Fail to see how the Sol. code would be thrown.

the code is 775,solinoid b malfunction not a pressure issues as the servo bores being worn would throw and be relative to pressure problem.this appears to be a electrical problem causing lack of juice to b solinoid or intermittent juice supply.it shifts way to good in other gears but going from 1st to 2nd it shifts around 2700-just under 3000 rpm

@plasticseng

I'm not sure why it throws that one, but mine did. I also had the flashing OD light and the constant dropping out of overdrive under light load.

the code is 775,solinoid b malfunction not a pressure issues as the servo bores being worn would throw and be relative to pressure problem.this appears to be a electrical problem causing lack of juice to b solinoid or intermittent juice supply.it shifts way to good in other gears but going from 1st to 2nd it shifts around 2700-just under 3000 rpm

The flare on the 1 - 2 shift is a classic symptom. Dropping out of overdrive frequently is also common. I think the servo that tends to fail soonest is engaged in 2nd and OD.

I hope this is not your problem, but you have many of the classic signs.

I'm not sure why it throws that one, but mine did. I also had the flashing OD light and the constant dropping out of overdrive under light load.
i dont have it drop out of overdrive,just runs rpm to 2500 to 3000 rpms to shift from 1st to 2nd gear.all other shifts smooth as silk and zero hesitation when you put foot into it.

The flare on the 2 - 3 shift is a classic symptom. Dropping out of overdrive frequently is also common. I think the servo that tends to fail soonest is engaged in 2nd and OD.

I hope this is not your problem, but you have many of the classic signs.
the solinoid block is brand new one not rebuilt,didnt solve code for malfunction of b solinoid

i still feel like its some kinda bad wiring or short somewhere that feeds the b solinoid as the soliniod block is new and not the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice video but i aint doing all that,pretty sure i dont need to go that deep if at all,thanks for the advice though.
You don't need to go that deep, but the video explains why you get the P0775 code when the servo fails. You can fix it without pulling the transmission from the vehicle. See the first link I posted above to show you how to do that.

I'm just trying to point out the problem you most likely have, but I see you don't want to consider it. I'm out.

Back