• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer trany problems

Bud light 1

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer
I have a 2002 for explorer XLT it seems to hesitate going into drive or reverse when cold and the overdrive light flases on and off. It also seems when shifting from 1st to 2nd that you have to let off the gas for it to change. Here are some codes that showd up when we hooked a computer up to it. Can you help me with these?Po461 fuel level sensor, po732 incorrect gear to ratio, po735 incorrect gear to ratio #5, po 775 pressure control solinoid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you are probably screwed and will need a rebuild

same exact as you bud light1

you just described the exact same issue as mine on the exact same model(2002 xlt-100,000 mi) where did you go to get codes? can somebody help pls with knowledge, i am worried i am doing more damage by driving it. thx

Same thing happened to mine. Took a new torque converter. The O.D. light was flashing due to the torque converter slipping. After this was done it lead to a trans rebuild shortly after as there was some leakage around one of the valves and so on and so on and so on. Cost me a fortune.

Mine just got completely rebuilt last week, 62,000 on it...it would sometimes stall when it hesitated going into reverse, and it was shifting kinda rough.

When My Overdrive light starting flashing it was only about 3 days and it quit pulling in all gears.

Got it rebuilt for $1385.00 and have an 18 month 18,000 mile warranty on the Tranny.

I don't think the price was high it was in the middle where I live, but this shop is in the middle of no where in the ozarks of Missouri and is considered the best in about a 500 mile radius. I took it in on a weds and got it back Friday afternoon. I thought he just had one rebuilt in the back and put it in but it is my tranny and he done a great job.

My Original tranny starting acting up at 145,000 and had the solenoid pack replaced. That solved the problem till 5,000 miles later at 150,000 miles the tranny started acting up again and now needs a rebuild.

Back