2002 headlight issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 headlight issues

02X

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've got a 2002 X and have been having trouble with my headlights.
The problem: My headlights have been very iratic sometimes coming on, sometimes not. When turning the ignition over, lights come on (or not at all) in all postions on switch. If they do come on, the switch will not turn them off in the off position. If they don't come on there are no headlights; I have to use fogs at night.
I'm not sure if there is a problem with my headlamps or DRL's because the lights will just go out; and turning the switch to headlamp position does nothing. This has been very scary because the hadlights will go out while driving in the dark! (need to have fogs on just in case)
Sorry for the long explination. Any suggestions will be appricated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

assuming that you have not done anything to modify the lights or the wiring, start with some simple checks. when the lights go out do you have power at the switch, do you have ground. i had this happen once on a car I had and the headlamp relay would overheat and shut them off. if the wiring is good then I would suspect the switch. your gonna have to do some checking with the test light. good luck

Yes, I have power at the switch, I can see that the parking lamps stay on. The dash lights also work when I turn the switch. I can also turn the fogs on. When lights randomly go out, I can't switch on the headlamps.

I checked the fuses today. Took out DRL fuse= no lights; took out headlamp switch fuse= switch didn't work; took out autolamp fuse= did nothing, I replaced DRL fuse and headlights came on again. ALL fuses seem to be working. Unless I missed something, I'm stumped!

I'm wondering if it's the headlamps because when I took out DRL fuse lights went out, but when I turned switch to headlamp they didn't work. Does anyone know if these are seperate in how they function??

How would I check wiring or relay for this?? Where is it located?
Anything else I should check??

i had a mustang that had the same problem. turned out to be an overheating headlight relay. the switch itself would get extremely hot and the headlights would go out leaving just the parking lights on.

Does anyone know where the relay would be located on the X, or what wires I should take a look at??

next time it happens, try putting your hand on the headlight swith and see if it is hot. the switch itself may be the cause.

same problem here, first symptoms were that when I turned the key to ON the autolamp relay was going insane clicking on and off, and stayed on afterwards... Now its just dead, I have parking and DRL but no headlights or highbeams... Gonna check the switch out tomorrow with my WDS and see what's the problem...

Solved the problem, it a darn splice right after fuse 22 that melted into oblivion, a couple of strands remained connected. That's why I had continuity and 12 volts up until I tried to turn the lights on, relay couldn't get to power it needed since the two strands were impeding current flow.

Its all good and soldered as it should have been from the start, rock solid.

thanks for the help

Back