2002 Mercury Mountaineer questions > | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mercury Mountaineer questions >

Bick22

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Harbor Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey everyone, I have come across a mint 2002 Mercury Mountaineer while searching for my next project of building a overlander! I paid very little for it but it needs a motor in which i have got one. Questions i have simply can be answered but im looking for sites that sels lift kits, brush gaurds, winch bumpers ? anything of that sort. Thanks guys and yes i wil be posting pics starting tues when it gets home

Hey everyone, I have come across a mint 2002 Mercury Mountaineer while searching for my next project of building a overlander! I paid very little for it but it needs a motor in which i have got one. Questions i have simply can be answered but im looking for sites that sels lift kits, brush gaurds, winch bumpers ? anything of that sort. Thanks guys and yes i wil be posting pics starting tues when it gets home

Not a whole lot available as far as offroad accessories for these trucks, but there's some.

As far as lift "kits", look at the top of the modified 2002-2005 forum for all the detailed info and where to buy, but here's a quick rundown:

1.5" Body lift: ~$50
3" Body lift: ~$150

Strut Spacer lift aka "BTF Spacers" -$250 (will yield anywhere from 2-3.5" of lift depending on the height of the spacer. Basically you get 1.55" of lift for every 1" of spacer. I would recommend staying around a 1.75" front/1.25" rear but many here run up to a 2.25" front and 1.75" rear. Either way, you also need to invest in some Uniball upper control arms, also made by BTF ($550 a set) or your upper suspension will be living on borrowed time before it could catastrophically fail.

Rancho "Quick lift" struts: ~$800: Replaces the OEM struts and springs. With these you get struts with adjustable valving and preloaded springs, so they give you a little lift (I think it's 1.5" front and 1.25" rear). Probably not a good idea to use these with strut spacers, use one or the other.

Another lift option: Solid Axle Swap. Do a search for a thread called "Project Lazyboy SAS" and there's a guy doing a front and rear solid axle swap on a Mountaineer like yours. Should be awesome.

Winch mount/Brush guard: These guys will make you a custom brush guard with a winch mount in it: http://www.truckwinchmount.com/

Like I said, look at the modified 2002-2005 forum for more info and ideas.

Thats what i needed to know thanks alot and i will start posting pics asap !

Back