• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer no start

dreamer.nh1

Reaction score
City, State
HAMPTON, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
Good Morning am hoping for help with a problem that was intermittent for almost three years and just kept happening till it finally won't start. It never threw an error code never skipped and always started until you drove a short distance like 5 miles go into the store and come out won't start but cranks fine. Come back in 1/2 hour or 1 hour and starts right up. i have seen this description many times but never an answer. So I put a spark plug tester, a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail connect and a amp tester in the fuse circuit for the fuel pump. When it's turned over reading it with the obd tester it reads rpm when the engine is turning over which should eliminate the crank pos sensor. I have tried different keys and no difference.
What I have finally come up with is no fuel pressure when this happens but the fuel pump is drawing approx 10 amps. So the question is it the fuel pump or is there something in the PCM or GEM module that can shut of the fuel pressure and if so what. My guess is the safety modules would kill the fuel pump but this is from someone who needs an expert to answer this question as I can't get it from vol 1 or vol 2 of the service manuals. I don't want to replace the fuel pump if not necessary and it's expensive to start guessing.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards Barry

Back