• Register Today It's free!

Need help no fuel not start

Stick4503

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2004Explorer 4x4
I need help. I have a 2004 explorer with the 4.0 shoc engine. Yesterday the vehicle was cranking and running just fine. Filled up the fuel tank last night to go out of town this morning. Vehicle will not crank, turns over but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump running with key on. Disconnected fuel line from fuel rail not flow. Disconnected fuel line from inlet side of fuel filter not flow. All fuses are good, relay is good inertia switch not tripped. Fuel pump is new replaced 7-16-16. Fuel filter replaced this year March or April I think. Fuel pressure per scan tool is 0.8 and should be 40 plus. I know this shows the pressure is low but new pump is running. I have spark and can crank and run the engine for a moment with brake cleaner in intake. What am I missing. Please help.

Thank You
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm desperate anybody have an answer. Guess I'll be dropping the tank here in a few. Got to figure out what to do with 20 something gallons of gas.

I would suggest to test the fuel pressure at the rail, but you disconnected it with no pressure. If you have a snap on solus, you can manually turn the fuel pump on and off without cranking the motor to see if you have pressure. I have troubled shoot a bunch of fuel pumps and your info indicates that you had covered all the basis and the pump is your problem. Squirt some starting fluid into the manifold and see if she cranks over, and if it does, then sound like your pump bit the dust.

Good luck
bizzs

Must be something with a restriction in the fuel pump supply line or actual fuel pump. If it's not coming out of the fuel line to the filter definetely a restriction or something wrong with the fuel pump. Sometimes the float gets caught in tank on the evap purge line inside the tank. But it's obviously coming from the fuel tank pump moving forward to the supply line. I would say drop that tank and see where the restriction is.

Ok so I dropped the tank and found the problem. The plastic fuel line on the pump assembly came loose at the top connection. Now the question is why? No clamps on this model. When I reconnected it, it connected with a good firm click. I don't see how it could just fall off. It was running fine when i got home and turned it off. Then next morning it had not fuel flow (line obviously fell off). Couldi have too much pressure, bad fuel pressure regulator?

Ok so I dropped the tank and found the problem. The plastic fuel line on the pump assembly came loose at the top connection. Now the question is why? No clamps on this model. When I reconnected it, it connected with a good firm click. I don't see how it could just fall off. It was running fine when i got home and turned it off. Then next morning it had not fuel flow (line obviously fell off). Couldi have too much pressure, bad fuel pressure regulator?

Hey Stick 4503 I am actually in the process right now of changing my fuel pump because my pressure regulator has failed in the pump and my vehicle is just running a bit "rich" wasting a lot of gas because the regulator is not working. That should not have popped off the clip. I'm thinking you have a weak snap on clip or you didn't snap on right. You have to hook it together after you snap the clip downwards. You should buy a new clip.

Sorry to hear you too are having to mess with your tank. PITA. Anyways the connection i was referring to is a factory connection on the assembly itself. It is a white plastic line that slides over a molded barb on the round top that leads out to the exterior.

20161014_153134_zpsiaa1m6ey.jpg

This is the line that came loose. Must have not been cconnected good from the factory because I could not get it back loose after connecting it.

Also I mentioned that it was a white line. Clearly it is yellow/orange colored. Whatever it came loose and cost me a 3 day camping and fishing trip with the family. Plus side this is my first major repair this year that cost me no actual money. Thats a first.

I think you just bought a lemon there doesn't look like there's much you can do. Can you return it or exchange it?

So same thing happened again tonight. Running fine and I shut it off and no start no fuel pressure. Dropped the tank in the Chick fil A restaurant parking lot 100 miles from home. Fuel pump assembly line is off again what is this thing doing. Help please.

Honestly, your problem sounds like a bad fuel pump if the hoses keep blowing off. The pressure seems to high. Test the pressure and see what the reading is. Is the pump new? IF it is, there should be a warranty on it. I would return it and get a replacement to see if that solves your problem. I would not risk your safety with this problem since gas is involved and could cause a serious hazard, or may leave you stranded again. Rockauto sells some brand name pumps at very reasonable prices. Recently. I just saved 150 from rockauto by buying a pump for a jeep.. No part store in my area could even come close to their prices.

Good luck and keep us posted..
bizzs

I have a 02 explorer, 2 fuel pumps, 2 fuel filters, found a bad inertia switch, wires melted at switch. the switch is at the passenger foot well under the carpet, press the red button on top to reset the switch..check the plug at the bottom of the switch to see if it is melted. your truck should start.

Ok. Pulled the fuel pump for the third time in 9 days. This time I took it back and exchanged it as faulty. We will see if it leaves me stranded again. I'll know I have some other problem causing an issue or if it was just a bad part. Fuel filter is not clogged nor is any of the fuel lines. Fingers crossed. On the plus side I can drop a tank and remove a pump in about 45 minutes now. With another 45 to install a pump and tank.

Ok. Pulled the fuel pump for the third time in 9 days. This time I took it back and exchanged it as faulty. We will see if it leaves me stranded again. I'll know I have some other problem causing an issue or if it was just a bad part. Fuel filter is not clogged nor is any of the fuel lines. Fingers crossed. On the plus side I can drop a tank and remove a pump in about 45 minutes now. With another 45 to install a pump and tank.

Hey Stick4503 I have to remove my tank, do I have to use a board and jack to hold the tank as I remove? I was thinking of driving until the tank is almost empty and them removing, but not using a jack under the tank. Is it heavy once I remove the straps? Just wondering. I don't want to break any of the wires attached I was thinking I can hold with one hand as I remove the wiring connectors. What's your advice?

1. Front side of tank. Remove the heat shield to access and disconnect fuel filter. Both connections or just the back plastic one.
2. Top of tank near the front is a black plastic tube with a quick connection disconnect that. Y type pipe.
3. Out side of the passenger frame rail is the main electrical connection. Disconnect this.
4. On top of tank at the rear is another black plastic tube with quick connection. This one is hard to get to with the tank in place and may require the tank to be lowered several inches first.
5. Disconnect the drive shaft and let hang or remove completely. I only disconnected the rear and let it hang.
6. Remove the front strap. Tank has a lip on the front that will rest on the frame.
7. Support the rear of the tank with what ever works for you. Must keep the tank from falling but be ae to adjust to drop the tank some to get to that back connection from number 4.
8. Disconnect filler hose from back of tank. If it is working you should have a valve in the tank that will keep fuel from flowing out. Have a container ready and watch your eyes. Even with the valve you may have a cup or two of fuel spill.
9. Remove rear strap and lower tank a few inches to disconnect number 4 connection.
10. Lower rear of tank to ground.
11. You will see a larger soft hose connected to the top ic the tank. It is just a hose pushed into an elbow, twist and pull to remove.
12. Slide tank back while keeping front of tank from falling and lower to the ground.

All of this is considering you have the same tank lay out as mine. Given your posted year model it should be. Mine is a long plastic tank on the passenger side undercarriage.

Quick connections that i am referring to are the plastic connections that you have to push in on the colored lip and pull the connection apart. They require two hand so you will not be able to hold the tank up yourself and disconnect. The tank empty or near empty is not heavy. Maybe 30 or so pounds.

Drive shaft bolts are best done with a reverse star/torques type tool or you can get the job done with a 12 mm 12 point box end wrench. Just don't round them off no matter what tool you choose.

Fuel filter quick connect is odd. Has a red tab that you get loose to unlock then fold it over and squeeze both sides inward and push up to unlock. It is easier than it sounds.

Any other questions just ask.

An empty tank is so much easier to work with. If you can run it near dry its best. If you don't have that option you can remove the filler hose from the tank and insert a long screwdriver into the tank pushing the valve out of the way. Fuel will rush out so have a container ready. When container is near full remove screw driver and valve will close (if working properly). I did this to empty mine and it work fine. HOWEVER you will be creating alot of fumes and ignition is possible. Make sure you have no open flames, hot lights or other ignition sourses around. This is best done out side. Please be careful!!!

An empty tank is so much easier to work with. If you can run it near dry its best. If you don't have that option you can remove the filler hose from the tank and insert a long screwdriver into the tank pushing the valve out of the way. Fuel will rush out so have a container ready. When container is near full remove screw driver and valve will close (if working properly). I did this to empty mine and it work fine. HOWEVER you will be creating alot of fumes and ignition is possible. Make sure you have no open flames, hot lights or other ignition sourses around. This is best done out side. Please be careful!!!

Thanks for taking the time to provide this info. I am going to drop my tank in the next couple of weeks.

Back