2002 ranger, need exhaust help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ranger, need exhaust help!

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
need some cat info

so i decided the ranger needed some exhaust work done, stock is just too quiet.
so i started by cutting out the muffler and tail pipe, and it sounded horrible. very very ricey! then i slipped my new, thrush turbo on, and it sounded better at idle, but when revved, it was almost silent.
so then i cut off the section of pipe that went between the rearward cat, and the muffler, and tried that, and it got a bit deeper, and has a good sounding idle, but when its revved.... it sounds like a wrx with one of those huge ricey mufflers on it.
i know the sohc can sound good, ive seen plenty of clips, i just am not sure where to go from here.
i have a trush turbo muffler, so if i can use that id like to, but i could buy a different one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi-Flow Cat
Flowmaster 40 Muffler
y pipes from there (custom work)

Mine sounds great and real aggressive. I don't have headers on mine yet, but I do plan on adding them by the end of the year (tight on money now). I just put on my K&N cold air intake kit last night, and it sounds even better and def. picked up some noticeable HP

so i cant just remove the rearward cat, and maybe the y-cat, since i really dont wanna have to buy high flow ones,

i know there is a sensor behind the y-cat, but can i remove it, i know it would throw a code, but would it still run right.

btw i live in montana, so emissions laws dont exist :)

i did a little more reading and talking to people, and i think i already found my answer, but basically i want to confirm, that if i remove the cat before the downstream sensor, that it yes will throw a code, but wont effect performance, power, or mileage....right?

I believe that to be true.

Back