2002 transmission PCM update available | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 transmission PCM update available

nascar_intimid

Reaction score
City, State
st.catharines,ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 eddie ..'02 limited
I don't know how old the update is but my dealer just found one for my tranny and holy schit it made a world of difference...all for the cost of an hour labour...the program itself is included in the price. The update is for rough shifting and stuff like that, but wow...what a difference, so smooth as silk now....just unbelievable. anyway I just want to share that with everyone and maybe you can prevent damage to your tranny down the road by installing this update and smoothing out your shifting....your choice, your money...good luck all.......:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you possibly find out if there's a flash for the '04 as well? If so, what bulletin number is it? Thanks.

Sorry cornburner....I was at the dealer getting some work done when he investigated for me. just call up the dealers and ask about the '04's they will tell you right over the phone....it's well worth it, I love driving the ex now.

I asked a couple dealerships, and neither could find anything. That, or they didn't feel like looking.

I have access to Mitchell OnDemand, which has a full TSB listing. I'll look thru there and see if I can spot anything.

could be that those ('04) trannies are up to snuff and don't require an upgrade...maybe

I don't know how old the update is but my dealer just found one for my tranny and holy schit it made a world of difference...all for the cost of an hour labour...the program itself is included in the price. The update is for rough shifting and stuff like that, but wow...what a difference, so smooth as silk now....just unbelievable. anyway I just want to share that with everyone and maybe you can prevent damage to your tranny down the road by installing this update and smoothing out your shifting....your choice, your money...good luck all.......:thumbsup:

Was it shuddering going into O/D?

no I don't think so...more of a thud, or was hanging in between gears, felt like it should change gears faster than it did under load acceleration, and when I took my foot off the gas between 2nd and 3rd there was a little clunk....your sounds like you need a fluid change...don't forget the '95's are different than the '02's...goodluck either way

I'd just like some sort of flash to tighten up the gearchanges. I don't like the sloppy feeling and the power drop off between gearchanges. I prefer a tight, quick gearchange, rather than a feeling of the PCM stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearchanges. I'm sure it's done for durability as well as keeping the soccer moms happy that they can't feel it shift, but to someone who knows what's going on with their vehicle, I absolutely despise these "oozing" gearshifts.

Mine always shifts well, although once in a great while and only if the ATF is quite warm such as taking a long extended highway cruise, will I get a wierd 4-5 gearchange where it seems like it's not quite engaged before the power comes back, and gives a strange bump or shudder.

Typical of most Ford automatics, they'll never shift the same way twice in a row, but always shift.

my upgrade took the manual clutch shift feeling out of the shift, they are now crisp smooth shifts with power there immediately without wearing on the tranny, just silky smooth, you would not believe how excited and impressed I am with the pcm upgrade it is so perfect now, for a hundred bucks, I'd do it again tomorrow now that I know what it does...I'm sure there is an upgrade there for every tranny past '01....do yourself the favour and get it done with your next flush, or get an early flush and then get it...but get it!!!! it's great, just what we needed

I am wondering if this is the same PCM reflash done on my 2002 Limited v8 AWD Explorer about one year or so after I bought it. I took it in for a couple of minor service items and asked them to check the tranny shifting which I was not completely happy with (but now don't recall what I disliked about it). Anyway, they reflashed it and I am now at 91K miles with no problems.

I will check under the hood where there is a sticker the dealer installed at the time that I think has some long code written on it - might be the key to figuring this thing out.

Here is what the dealer-installed tag under the hood says:

"PCM REPRO (assume reprogrammed) 1U7A12A650GAAU - although I am not sure on the "A' third letter from the right (written poorly)

A check of my service records shows that this was done 24 October 2003 with 29,225 miles on the truck. Since I bought it new in May 2002, it would have been about one and a half years old at the time. My records also show that the dealer did a transmission flush at the same time.

My tranny has to date performed flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

I had my 04's front pump seal covered at 46K miles by a non-ford extended warrantly. At the time, the dealer wanted me to spend $140 on a trans reprogram that would help pressure in the case and hopefully prevent a future front pump seal.

The extended warranty wouldnt cover the re-program. I thought you think they would since if this blows out again they would cover the $700 labor to fix it again (I have 40k left on the warranty).

So I declined the reprogram. They didnt mention that it would improve shifting.

they probably didn't know what it would improve..it just says update. If you get the update make sure it is the latest incase they have an earlier version....

FWIW, I had the 4x4 Auto light blink on me so I took it into the dealer to have them pull the code on it. While I was talking to him I asked about a PCM update. He looked it up and found that there is an update available for '02 Explorers that were built between a very specific date range. I believe it was a date in May, 02 to Sept or Oct '02. It is at the dealer now so I'll ask for the specific dates when I pick it up.

I hope it cleans up the shifting for me.

I'm sure it will but please let us all know.....

Mike, I have the same feeling about my shifts in my 04 XLT/NBX. I just had it in to the dealer and they said there wasa nothing new and no "fix" for the shift. I did, however, get the feeling that it was a blow-off. Do you have any more info on your end?

JP

WOW what a DIFF!

I had the PCM flash done at ford a few days ago and I am stunned! I have 130,000 on the my 2002 V8 Limited and it made my tranny shift like new! Thats all I did no flush or filter change and wow its like night and day! 140.00 @ the stealership, but worth every penny! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed!

I inherited my wife's 02 explorer when we bought her a new vehicle last year. She had the transmission rebuilt a few years ago at about 70k. Since I started driving it, the upshifts have been very hard and so I thought the transmission was on its way out again.

But, I found the explorer forum website and got on here and found this thread and thought I'd give the PCM repro a try. It absolutely fixed the problem. I honestly can't believe the difference it's made in the shifting - it's like night in day. It's smooth without alot of lag between shift points...well worth the $98 it cost for the repro. It didn't change the actual shift pattern, it still shifts between gears in "stages", but what it did was tighten everything up and make it much smoother.

I've seen some people asking about the TSB. The TSB that talked about the PCM Repro for hard upshifting was 2-06-02.

Nascar, I appreciate you putting this thread out there. Saved me a lot of time and money!

Back