• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Noise

hillre55

Reaction score
City, State
Medon, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Good morning, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0, 159K miles. Issue: Hearing rattling like noise after cranking engine. Think it may be exhaust related. The noise fades away after engine has warmed up. Could this be bad donut gaskets in the Y-Pipe? The rattling noise seems to be on passenger side of the engine. Have any of you had this issue with your Explorer and if so, what was the problem/fix? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good morning, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0, 159K miles. Issue: Hearing rattling like noise after cranking engine. Think it may be exhaust related. The noise fades away after engine has warmed up. Could this be bad donut gaskets in the Y-Pipe? The rattling noise seems to be on passenger side of the engine. Have any of you had this issue with your Explorer and if so, what was the problem/fix? Thanks
This is likely the ominous, "death rattle." Basically, on the passenger side, rear part of the motor, there is a timing chain. The guides on this are plastic. Over time the chain tensioner loses its tensioning force and the chain begins to slap into the plastic guide. That slapping is the noise you are likely hearing. Your mileage is about right. Experts recommend changing out the tensioner every 60k (be sure to properly prime that tensioner or or is useless). I changed my tensioner and there is a noticeable and significant decrease in the rattle sound. Fortunately, upon inspection my entire plastic guide snapped off from the block.. many of them begin to disinigrate into the oil because they are still attached to the block and the force of the chain slapping chips away at the plastic.
The major problem here, if this is your problem, is that the motor has to be pulled in order to access that timing chain. It can be done DIY if you are well-adept at mechanics. I will be doing mine here soon.
I hope this is not the case for you, but it is the first possibility you should eliminate, IMO.

EDIT: I'm swamped in time right now and the missus is nagging or I would post the good links on the issue, but all i can find right now is this:

If we could hear the noise?
The fix is a manual tensioner

What part number you got on that?

read this carefully

read this carefully
@donalds, you are my savior. Thank you!

This is likely the ominous, "death rattle." Basically, on the passenger side, rear part of the motor, there is a timing chain. The guides on this are plastic. Over time the chain tensioner loses its tensioning force and the chain begins to slap into the plastic guide. That slapping is the noise you are likely hearing. Your mileage is about right. Experts recommend changing out the tensioner every 60k (be sure to properly prime that tensioner or or is useless). I changed my tensioner and there is a noticeable and significant decrease in the rattle sound. Fortunately, upon inspection my entire plastic guide snapped off from the block.. many of them begin to disinigrate into the oil because they are still attached to the block and the force of the chain slapping chips away at the plastic.
The major problem here, if this is your problem, is that the motor has to be pulled in order to access that timing chain. It can be done DIY if you are well-adept at mechanics. I will be doing mine here soon.
I hope this is not the case for you, but it is the first possibility you should eliminate, IMO.

EDIT: I'm swamped in time right now and the missus is nagging or I would post the good links on the issue, but all i can find right now is this:

Thanks very much for that information sir. I will more than likely have to take it to a repair shop. I don’t have the experience to do the procedure. If it’s the timing chain, why would the noise stop after the engine warms up? Also doesn’t an engine loses power when timing chain is faulty? Just curious. I may just get rid of it. I can’t imagine the cost for that repair. The fair market value on that thing is $1500 or less. Appreciate your time. Have a good evening. I’ll post whatever the repair shop says

Back