• Register Today It's free!

2002 vs. 2005

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Hi all, it has been a while since I have posted on here. I used to be a regular a few years ago but I traded my Explorer and moved on.

I had a 2002 Limited and it was a pretty sweet ride. I am thinking of getting a 2005 model. My question is did the common problems with the 2002 models get solved by the 2005 model? I know the transmissions were bad to go out around 100k and that the wheel bearings were often a problem. I had to get my transmission rebuilt and I had to replace wheel bearings on my 2002. Are those problems less common on 2005 models?

The good thing is that third gen Explorers are a lot cheaper now than they were back in 2006 when I bought my 2002.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3rd Gen is a bigger heavier vehicle, and has much the same design and parts, thus i fear they die slightly sooner. CV joints and wheel bearings are still a problem as is the glass transmission. Suspension is no longer leaf spring, so although it rides a bit better, its more complex and not as strong. the 2v 4.6L v8 engine is a big plus though over the 4.0 v6.
I also like the old style computer in the 3rd Gen, it looks like something from the 80's but integrates well into the vehicle. I have the 2004 by the way.

There's not much changes from '02-'05. They may have sourced a few better parts from when they started production giving the '05 a slight edge over the '02, but other than that they are basically the same vehicle. '06 is when they went 4th gen.

Advanced Trac W/Roll Stability Control and a slightly redesigned rear suspension, are about the only differences between the two vehicles. Same trans, rear ends, ect...

-02 had 5R55W trans, -05 had 5R55S not sure what or if there is a difference.

Back