2002 t0 2005 V8 Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 t0 2005 V8 Explorers

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I am starting to look for a 2002 to 2005 Ford Explorer preferably the XLT model with the simple a/c system(Manual)and so far from local feedback the V/8 is the way to go.
How useful is the third row seating(Looks rather small to me.
Just wondering if I could get some feedback on these models.
Thanks
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I happen to have a 2003 XLT with the V8, simple A/C and the third row seating so I guess I should chime in:

The fuel economy is going to be terrible whether you get the V6 or the V8 so I'd just as soon have the extra torque/power/smoothness of the V8.

The third row is handy when you need it but not practical for adults. We've only had to use it a few times but we were glad we had the option.

I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 V/8 that has given me tremendous trouble free service .I love the vehicle even though the fuel economy is certainly not a surprise.
I thank you very much for the feedback.
Regards
Jim

I have a 04 xlt with the v8, simple ac and 3rd row.

The third row seat is folded down 98% of the time I owned the vehicle(since new). But when I drove my nephews around they loved it. It is nice to have when you need it and you can fold it down when you dont.

Simple AC. When it comes time to replace the blend door actuator I was glad I had the manual one. Do a search on this subject for more info.

Fuel mileage. I get about close to 20mph on the highway. The v8 has enough power for the vehicle. I think the v6 would be working too hard to move this SUV around. That is why I got the v8 when I bought it new.
I heard the v6 is noisey, has to work harder to get up going and if I tow something it would be nice to have a v8 and the gas mileage isnt much different. .

good luck on what ever you get. This is the place to be for information and some good how to's to save you $$$$.

I have a 03 XLT with manual A/C and rear A/C with the V8. I also have the 3rd row seat which came in handy a few times. As #4 said it's folded down the majority of the time, I want the storage/carrying space. I did order the cargo shade so I can keep prying eyes in check. The recess holes are molded into the quarter interior panels. Of course the 3rd row had to be down. When I need the 3rd row I would take the shade out and leave in garage.

I would stick with the 2003 and up. Too many issues with the 2002. Recommend V8, more power and smoother. Besides, from what I've been reading here about the 4.0 V6, there's the issue with the chain guides with is a PITA to repair. On my V8, I have 82K on it and had no engine issues so far. I've only had the other issues that you may have read here, wheel bearing/hubs. leaking rear axle seals, front pinion seal and the whining rear end (ring and pinion). Been a great vehicle so far.

I recently bought a 2003 v8, XLT 4x4. Manual AC and 3rd row.

While I have not driven a v6, the v8 seems like the way to go. I have not had to use the 3rd row yet, although it seems to have enough room. I am 6'1 and fit with about 1" of knee room, I would not want to go on a road trip in the 3rd row, though. Lots of cargo space with the 3rd folded, and the second row folds for even more. Its a very nice driving truck, no way I would trade it back for my Ranger!

I was also in your shoes deciding between a V6 and V8. Just 2 months ago, I bought my first 3rd Gen V8, and I'm glad I did. I have the manual AC (front and rear) and 3rd row seating. While I don't need it, now that I have it... it is GREAT! I think the first weekend I bought mine, I had my whole family in there and everybody fit very comfortably. It's great to have it there if you need it. Most of the time I don't have many people in the truck so I keep it folded down for more cargo storage for weekend trips. The option of having both is awesome though. Even if you have 3 in the 2nd row seating, you can put 1 person in the 3rd row just so everyone is much more comfortable.

The difference in MGP in the V6 and V8 are only about 1mpg. For the addl' power you get, it's worth it for sure! The truck also seems to work less harder than the V6.

I would highly recommend any V8 Explorer (2003+).

I have a 2003 xlt v6. In a year or so I'm hoping to sell it when I have the extra funds for a v8 model with hopefully a 3rd row. Seems worthy investment to me haha

I got an 03 V8 XLT with AWD. Its got the simple/manual climate controls. The AC works great into the second and third rows.

We're a family of five. The infant rides in the second row with my wife. Our two toddlers are in high-back booster seats in the third row. A dual seat stroller fits in the remaining cargo area behind the third row. It works great for us.

And on those trips to Ikea or Costco when we really need more cargo room, I just have all the kids seated in the second row and I can fold the third row flat.

With the added weight of AWD I don't really feel the thrill of acceleration others comment on (even when I drive by myself). But I like having the V8 power available anyway.

I average about 13.5 mpg though. If I'm really lucky and do a lot of coasting, I can get 14mpgs. Therefore, I'm considering a Toyota Highlander hybrid for our next car. But that's a topic for another post...:salute:

I have an 02 XLT V6, no 3rd row, manual a/c fornt and rear. The V6 is actually a great engine. We average about 18 city mpg and 21-23 highway. It is very comfortable for long road trips, and it has great acceleration. It also sounds like a V8 if you're looking for that truck sound. There is lots of space behind the second row seat for cargo. Also, since we dont have the 3rd row, there are 2 large compartments under the floor of the cargo space which is very convenient, at least for me. I have a neighbor with an 01 XLS manual a/c, v6, 3rd row and I rode for about a half hour or so in the 3rd row and i thought it was very comfortable, although the seat was a little low to the floor and it was a tad difficult to get into. Overall, I like our 02 the most with the very large and convenient cargo space in the rear and the V6 is a definite plus over the V8, seeing as it is practically the same engine, with better gas mileage. Good luck in your searching!

I have a 02 v8 limited and i love it i have just front a/c i beleive there is no controls for it in the back. it has a thrid row as well which i rarely use but i sat back there once and it was pretty nice actually. Ive had no major problems and i get about 17 mpg around town and 20 mpg highway!!!!

I just bought an 02 v8 XLT 4x4 w/basic A/C a few months ago ($5,000). It had the 2 rows of seats... but I just bought the 3rd row seat with exact matching fabric from a salvage yard for $275... (including rear pillar seatbelt sets) and just installed it & matches perfectly. (The cargo area w/the 3rd row folded down is still noticeably smaller than that of the 2 row). Mine came w/the stock 2" hitch receiver which has already come in handy towing a trailer. The V8 quickly proved its self towing up steep grades... yet the explorer is still small enough to easily fit in the garage & zip in & out of tight parking spots. Seems to be the all around vehicle I've been wanting

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input.After searching far and wide I have purchased a 2004 XLT with the V/8 and the third row seat.As a plus it has the factory sunroof.The beauty of it is that it has 66,000 miles on it.The only negative is that it is black(beautiful when clean but not so pretty when dusty).I will keep you posted on how it works out.I do hope it gives me the service that my 1998 Mountaineer has.
Thanks again
Jim

Well congratulations on your purchase! You'll be real happy with it I'm sure. You know what everyone is gonna ask now... let's see some pics of that black beauty inside and out!!!!

Back