• Register Today It's free!

2002 xlt explorer AC

Smplegrl

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford explorer xlt
Hey guys, so I've had this car for about 3 years. Since I've had it I've had to refill the AC once, it wasn't until recently that my husband tried to refill it and it wouldn't take. He read online that it's because the compressor or something. Needless to say he "checked" it was bad. Well I had someone come look at it and they tested it and said it was fine, a relay had burned out. Swamped and they serviced the ac filled freeon and charged etc etc.

Well now the darn thing blows warm air in the front part of vehicle, but the back of car is cool...
Setting 1 and 2 blow cold on the driver side warm on passenger 3 and 4 hot on both sides. All the while back is blowing cold...

In the 2002 the settings are not split between driver and passenger they are same for both sides, but do have the different settings for the back and very back in different location. I wanna get this fixed as a family of 6 in 95+ weather and leather seats suck. I can't afford crazy dealership prices. Appreciate any help.

16561954380441582197638764811448.jpg

I had an issue very similar to yours where the driver's side blew noticeably hotter air than the passenger side. It turned out to be a weak compressor. The video below shows how to check for a weak compressor. It isn't hard to do by turning the compressor face as shown in the video.

Back