2003 EXP LTD 4.6 V8 engine tick? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 EXP LTD 4.6 V8 engine tick?

mateusz1122

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer EB 4.0
03 Explorer 4.6 V8 with 134k; previous owner maintained it meticulously. I'm getting a ticking noise at idle primarily. It doesnt really knock faster with rpms. Is this an engine knock? Faulty cat? Loose torque converter? I need help figuring this out! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump. what is oil pressure like?

First, you need to figure out the general area where the noise is eminating from. It sounds to me like a rod knock which would be louder when listening to it under the vehicle than on top. It might be valve train noise from a bad roller follower, lifter etc. TBH, it doesn't sound good to me and should be checked out ASAP. The noise does seem to go up with RPM but likely stops and/or gets drowned out when the engine is at higher RPMs.

First, you need to figure out the general area where the noise is eminating from. It sounds to me like a rod knock which would be louder when listening to it under the vehicle than on top. It might be valve train noise from a bad roller follower, lifter etc. TBH, it doesn't sound good to me and should be checked out ASAP. The noise does seem to go up with RPM but likely stops and/or gets drowned out when the engine is at higher RPMs.
When I got under the truck the other day I put a long screwdriver on the first Cat (driver's side) and heard the noise pretty clearly. Not sure if it's resonating or not

Do the same with the oil pan in a few locations.

One thing I wanted to point out is there is no ticking or knocking whatsoever on cold start. The noise appears after it warms up.

So I had no idea the oil pan was that hard to remove... Front Axle and stabilizer bar needs to come out. Went a different route. Got a timing light and it seems like the noise (when warm) is 1:1 with the light; apparently that points to a valve train issue.

I removed the driver's side valve cover and ran the engine over without spark or fuel. I'm not sure if this is normal but I think I hear the noise/tapping. Could it be a bad lash adjuster or roller/follower?

So I replaced the lash adjusters on cyl 7 and 8 intake and exhaust cam lobes (4 total) with Melling parts. This did not solve the issue. I will be looking at oil pressure next.

I did however stumble across this video of a Mountaineer with what seems like a similar knock I have.

The comments started that the flex plate was loose. Is the flex plate accessible if you remove the starter? Or do you need to separate the engine and trans to retorque the bolts?

This is a very common 4.6l sound. It’s often referred to as dieseling. As people will ask “why does my 4.6 sound like a diesel.”

Mines done this for a while. I will say, historically it would be a little low on oil. (Rear main seal leaks.) I’d top it off and it would quiet significantly.

However, as of late, the oil isn’t down at all. There’s also no metallic flakes in the oil. Unless the oil filter is catching them all.

Aside from the noise, (which you can’t really hear once applying throttle) my engine runs fine. No loss of power etc.

At one point I went under the engine to listen, and it seemed to be coming from between the engine and the trans.

I’m at 264k miles on the original engine and trans.

Check out post 13.

This is a very common 4.6l sound. It’s often referred to as dieseling. As people will ask “why does my 4.6 sound like a diesel.”

Mines done this for a while. I will say, historically it would be a little low on oil. (Rear main seal leaks.) I’d top it off and it would quiet significantly.

However, as of late, the oil isn’t down at all. There’s also no metallic flakes in the oil. Unless the oil filter is catching them all.

Aside from the noise, (which you can’t really hear once applying throttle) my engine runs fine. No loss of power etc.

At one point I went under the engine to listen, and it seemed to be coming from between the engine and the trans.

I’m at 264k miles on the original engine and trans.
My engine makes all kinds of noise, but I actually like it, so all's good.
264k for you on the original engine and transmission, that's great.
My engine is original at 286k, but the guides and tensioners were replaced at 183k. Did you do any work on the engine?

1669573521551.jpeg

My engine makes all kinds of noise, but I actually like it, so all's good.
264k for you on the original engine and transmission, that's great.
My engine is original at 286k, but the guides and tensioners were replaced at 183k. Did you do any work on the engine?

View attachment 436679
New timing at 150k, now, 116k miles later it needs it again. Wheel bearings, shocks, alternator. Just replaced the original blend door motor!

I don’t know if you read my second post, but I’m willing to replace my starter to see if that’s the issue with the noise.

Many times some Ford's came into the shop with this sound......4.6L with auto trans.

Cracked flexplate.
Broken torque converter stud.
Loose flexplate bolts.

You can pull the starter to inspect the torque converter studs and (with camera scope) inspect the flexplate for cracks......no real way to inspect the flexplate bolts for tightness without moving the trans away from the engine.

Many times some Ford's came into the shop with this sound......4.6L with auto trans.

Cracked flexplate.
Broken torque converter stud.
Loose flexplate bolts.

You can pull the starter to inspect the torque converter studs and (with camera scope) inspect the flexplate for cracks......no real way to inspect the flexplate bolts for tightness without moving the trans away from the engine.
Are you saying the video I posted in post #1 is the sound from the trans? When I took it to a nearby shop in Yorkville (BSG Automotive) I was told it's a rod knock. I will probably pull the oil pan to confirm but I tend to agree with you more, as I've seen videos of true rod knock and it doesn't sound the same.

bsg? is that fordtechmakuloco?

Correct. But he didn't dig into the engine. He just put a screwdriver to the valve cover
hm interesing. we will see if he is right! seen alot ofnhis videos and he is very knowledgable. interested to see the results!

Are you saying the video I posted in post #1 is the sound from the trans? When I took it to a nearby shop in Yorkville (BSG Automotive) I was told it's a rod knock. I will probably pull the oil pan to confirm but I tend to agree with you more, as I've seen videos of true rod knock and it doesn't sound the same.
This guy knows the 5.4L and 4.6L engines like the back of his hand. It is good to confirm with a pan drop regardless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that guy, he knows his fords.

Back