4.6 Rattle/knock noise near transmission at idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Rattle/knock noise near transmission at idle

yeet1331

Reaction score
City, State
Land O Lakes, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited 4.6 4x2
My '05 4x2 4.6 makes a rattling/knock noise once it idles down and I hear it near the transmission. Torque converter bolts are not loose and transmission bolts are not loose. I've seen cracked flywheels and internally collapsed catalytic converters as the main culprits of these. Anyone else ever have this issue? If it is the cats I live in Florida where there is no emission inspection and would happily cut em off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '05 4x2 4.6 makes a rattling/knock noise once it idles down and I hear it near the transmission. Torque converter bolts are not loose and transmission bolts are not loose. I've seen cracked flywheels and internally collapsed catalytic converters as the main culprits of these. Anyone else ever have this issue? If it is the cats I live in Florida where there is no emission inspection and would happily cut em off.
I’d post a video up because you could have a lot of issues. But a lot of these explorers including mine make a rattle and I guess it’s normal. Also don’t take your cats off the worlds melting as is my friend also it’s over a $1000 ticket if you get caught without them regardless if they test emissions and trust me it will absolutely stinky your clothes will smell like gas for hours after you drive it’s not fun sounds cool but that’s about it

Also did you check to see if the torque converter bolts aren’t loose? Cause that does cause a similar noise aswell and you should be able to see the fly wheel from under to inspect for cracks if you take that little cover off on the bottom

Also did you check to see if the torque converter bolts aren’t loose? Cause that does cause a similar noise aswell and you should be able to see the fly wheel from under to inspect for cracks if you take that little cover off on the bottom
Torque converter bolts are not loose. I've also already got the rear cat/resonator off and it made no smell difference. Also a risk I'm willing to take, but in any case I'd keep them/get new ones so I can put them back on whenever necessary.

Torque converter bolts are not loose. I've also already got the rear cat/resonator off and it made no smell difference. Also a risk I'm willing to take, but in any case I'd keep them/get new ones so I can put them back on whenever necessary.
It will stink trust me the third cat doesn’t do anything the front 2 do all the work leave them in

It’s not worth ruining the environment for a loud car my friend our ancestors have stripped that luxury away the worse we make it the sooner we’re all driving electric. If it was the cats bad you’d know it would sound like rocks in a dryer but if you really want them off make sure you tune it or it’ll run rough

I’m gonna go with it’s just the marble noise then and not to worry mines done it for 70,000

I’m gonna go with it’s just the marble noise then and not to worry mines done it for 70,000
Ok I’ll leave it alone for now then

Also if you absolutely need to take the cats off your gonna need a tune for that or it’s gonna run really rough whatever you decide I don’t t
Ok I’ll leave it alone for now then
You can also narrow noise down with a long wooden stick and or screw driver with your ear up to it you’ll be able to pin point a lot of noises that you normally wouldn’t hear. Sorry I couldn’t be of much more help but I’m pretty sure your just hearing the normal noises these things make especially if it’s from the area your describing

Also if you absolutely need to take the cats off your gonna need a tune for that or it’s gonna run really rough whatever you decide I don’t t

You can also narrow noise down with a long wooden stick and or screw driver with your ear up to it you’ll be able to pin point a lot of noises that you normally wouldn’t hear. Sorry I couldn’t be of much more help but I’m pretty sure your just hearing the normal noises these things make especially if it’s from the area your describing
Yup it's one of the cats I pinpointed it. I'm just gonna leave it alone. Thanks for the help I appreciate it

My 03 V6 does the same thing! I noticed a clamp missing from the passenger cat and added a hose clamp. Guess I'll see soon! I have two noises from that area, the "popping" sound which I think is the cat heat shield, and another from what sounds like to flywheel area. Sounds like gears winding!

Solved.
The third shop put it up on a lift and found the problem in a few minutes. It was a defective return spring on the starter almost but not fully returning the starter gear fully away from the flywheel gear. So in that not-fully-retracted position, the gear teeth of the flywheel and the starter were ever so slightly touching sometimes.

They installed a rebuilt starter and no more tingling sound. Fortunately there was no visible damage to the flywheel gear teeth.

My starter was replaced a little bit ago and this is something that popped into my head. I will have to have it looked at!

Thank you!

Back