2003 EXP LTD 4.6 V8 engine tick? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 EXP LTD 4.6 V8 engine tick?

New timing at 150k, now, 116k miles later it needs it again. Wheel bearings, shocks, alternator. Just replaced the original blend door motor!

I don’t know if you read my second post, but I’m willing to replace my starter to see if that’s the issue with the noise.
If it's the original starter you'll probably be needing to replace it soon anyway, so that may be the next best move.
My original starter just recently went bad also. It'll be interesting to find the source of the noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the original starter you'll probably be needing to replace it soon anyway, so that may be the next best move.
My original starter just recently went bad also. It'll be interesting to find the source of the noise.
The starter was replaced by the previous owner not too long ago based on the Carfax

So I pulled the plugs and tried to check if the pistons (cyl 7 and 8) have play on the downstroke (connecting rod bearing play) with a long extension... Nothing whatsoever

So I pulled the plugs and tried to check if the pistons (cyl 7 and 8) have play on the downstroke (connecting rod bearing play) with a long extension... Nothing whatsoever
You should pull the rollers and inspect them.......also inspect the adjusters.

You should pull the rollers and inspect them.......also inspect the adjusters.

Yes, I did that during my Thanksgiving break, I replaced the lash adjusters on cyl 7 & 8. Roller/Rockers were smooth. The needle bearings had little to no play.

I'm starting to think I have a defective cyl head per this TSB. A lot of things are pointing me in that direction. My Explorer falls in the date range too.

I went under the truck today when it was hot idling; no noise from the oil pan, or transmission. Mainly coming from the valve cover and cat converter (resonating) on the driver's side.

Attachments

• 03-25-6 (1).pdf
    112.3 KB · Views: 63

Yes, I did that during my Thanksgiving break, I replaced the lash adjusters on cyl 7 & 8. Roller/Rockers were smooth. The needle bearings had little to no play.

I'm starting to think I have a defective cyl head per this TSB. A lot of things are pointing me in that direction. My Explorer falls in the date range too.

I went under the truck today when it was hot idling; no noise from the oil pan, or transmission. Mainly coming from the valve cover and cat converter (resonating) on the driver's side.
So......did you recently get the truck with the ticking noise happening.

So......did you recently get the truck with the ticking noise happening.
I bought the car back in Aug of this year, but it's hard to say if it was making the noise then; I can't remember. About 2 months ago is when I realized it one day and have been chasing it since...

Maybe the seller put heavier oil in it before he sold it to me...

Update but not conclusive. I took the car to a dealer for diag. They told me that it's either "piston slap or torque converter noise" and that the "fix" is a new engine. Service writer told me his had the same noise and he never bothered to look into it. Said it's "not detrimental to operation and I would just keep driving it... The engine will last forever"

They also snapped the antenna off in their car wash, which got caught up in the roller and put scratches on the door frame and busted the passenger mirror. It sat in the body shop for 3 weeks. I didn't pay a dime for diag or the body work even though they tried to make me... Frustrating. Wish I was making this up...

Update but not conclusive. I took the car to a dealer for diag. They told me that it's either "piston slap or torque converter noise" and that the "fix" is a new engine. Service writer told me his had the same noise and he never bothered to look into it. Said it's "not detrimental to operation and I would just keep driving it... The engine will last forever"

They also snapped the antenna off in their car wash, which got caught up in the roller and put scratches on the door frame and busted the passenger mirror. It sat in the body shop for 3 weeks. I didn't pay a dime for diag or the body work even though they tried to make me... Frustrating. Wish I was making this up...
if its TC noise new engine aint the fix TC is the fix lol ya the 4.6s are bulletproof but that dont mean theyre bombproof and it wont take time off of it.

if its TC noise new engine aint the fix
Typical of a dealer, diagnose a problem in the transmission (more or less) and suggest to fix it by swapping out the engine.

My torque converter has made noise since I got the truck. If you put your ear to the converter from underneath (please make sure it's not hot first), it sounds like a box of marbles rolling around. I had a transmission guy who I more or less trust say this was a broken torque converter and quote me $600 to rebuild it, but that was a long time ago. It has made that noise since at least 2010 it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the truck in any way. I seem to remember the guy saying that it wasn't a bit deal to just leave it. He certainly didn't caution me about impending doom if I let it go unfixed.

I would see if it is in fact the converter that is making the noise you are hearing. A good way to do this is to place the tip of a long screwdriver against the converter with the engine running and place the butt of the handle against your ear. This will isolate and magnify the sound making it easier to decide if that is what you have been hearing. I have been known to do the same thing with my stethoscope but the screwdriver can have a longer reach. Just be careful if you are sticking it in near moving parts.

There is also an intermittant high pitched vibration at idle with these engines which I think is a loose(ish) exhaust manifold heat shield that occasionally resonates with the engine vibration.

LMHmedchem

Back