2003 Explorer XLT 4.0V6 4WD Automatic - No Start problem | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer XLT 4.0V6 4WD Automatic - No Start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm a little tired here, but I'll give this a go. The vehicle is sending the signal to start to the starter, so the solenoid is engaging. However, just because the solenoid engages, does not mean that the starter motor engages. I don't think that your engine is seized, but if it is, you should be able to get it to spin over by removing the spark plugs. Removing the plugs will relieve any hydro lock. You should check the main positive power feed to the starter. I would get someone to turn the key to crank while you run a jumper cable from the battery directly to the starter (where the fat wire connects). Just don't hit anything else with it or you'll scare the crap out of yourself. Also, hook the negative cable from the negative of the battery to a nice, solid, non moving spot on the engine or transmission while you're down there, just in case it is actually a ground issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm a little tired here, but I'll give this a go. The vehicle is sending the signal to start to the starter, so the solenoid is engaging. However, just because the solenoid engages, does not mean that the starter motor engages. I don't think that your engine is seized, but if it is, you should be able to get it to spin over by removing the spark plugs. Removing the plugs will relieve any hydro lock. You should check the main positive power feed to the starter. I would get someone to turn the key to crank while you run a jumper cable from the battery directly to the starter (where the fat wire connects). Just don't hit anything else with it or you'll scare the crap out of yourself. Also, hook the negative cable from the negative of the battery to a nice, solid, non moving spot on the engine or transmission while you're down there, just in case it is actually a ground issue.
Or, you could just use a meter to test the things above without becoming an amateur welder.

I’m not sure why you think his engine isn’t seized, other than wishful thinking. He pulled the plugs and can’t rotate the crank with a breaker bar. That’s not a wiring issue.

Hello everyone! I need your help.
My '03 Explorer XLT won't start. When I turn the keyed ignition to start I get nothing but I do hear a solid sounding mechanical click followed by an intermittent faint high-pitched whine. It has remained this way for the past week every time I try to start it.
Here's what I've done to address the issue:
1. I opened the hood and disconnected my battery terminals. I wire cleaned the posts and the connectors, put battery felts down, the reconnected the terminals.
2. I got out my cheap multimeter and checked the voltage on my battery. It was 13.3-13.70 volts at static. When I turn the key to start my my battery dropped down to 7.0 volts. It goes back up to 13.7 volts once I go back to accessory, power on, and key locked.
3. I also tried to stay my Explorer in Neutral instead of park. Same results as 2 above.
4. Under the hood I opened the fuse box and located fuse #12 and relay #52. I test both and they work/function fine. While I had the box opened I went ahead and checked all the fuses. All good except fuse #17, a blown 20amp blade fuse which I replaced.
5. I even made a jumper wire and with relay #52 removed, I touched connecter 30 to 87. Same solid sounding mechanical click as if I were in the Explorer trying to key start it. I replaced the relay and closed the box.
6. I bought a new starter and installed it after removing the old one. Unfortunately I have the same results! Nothing but a mechanical click and an intermittent faint high-pitched whine..
7. Just to play it safe I finally got out a big ol' ratchet and 19mm socket for the front of the crank. I could not budge that thing to turn! Damn it!
8. Checked oil level real quick and I was within 1/2 a quart of being full.
9. What the heck! How does my Explorer drive perfectly fine like clockwork then all of a sudden it seizes up? I don't get it!

Are there any other things I can do to diagnose what it going on? I don't want to rebuild an engine with 205k miles on it. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something.
Oh, BTW, I took the old starter down to my box auto parts store to have it tested on their machine. It passed with flying colors.

Anyway, I'm at my wits end for now. I could really use some help
Thanks, Rich.
Sounds like you did your homework. Engine's locked up. You could try a bigger cheater but also try turning it backwards. Timing chain might have jumped/slacked/come loose & jammed. It could happen when you shut off the engine on a high mileage car.

Or, you could just use a meter to test the things above without becoming an amateur welder.

I’m not sure why you think his engine isn’t seized, other than wishful thinking. He pulled the plugs and can’t rotate the crank with a breaker bar. That’s not a wiring issue.
Yeah I never saw the part where he said he removed the plugs already. And I just didn't assume he had a meter or knew how to use it. However, after thinking back (with my now somewhat rested brain) about the voltage drop, I see it's not what I had thought, as it seems that the draw on the battery is consistent with a working (or trying to work) starter. And I've just never seen or heard of an engine seizing after running perfectly fine with no indications of any issue whatsoever, and I'm not usually one to go for an idea that doesn't make any sense without some hesitation. This will be a first. I think I'm all caught up now though, lol. Curious to find out what happened.

The issue appears to be an engine unable to rotate. As a 4.0 the timing chain issues are in play. If the chain broke and piled up in the gears that may prevent rotation. You’ve already ruled out hydrolock, that suggests a mechanical failure to me.

My '03 Explorer XLT won't start. When I turn the keyed ignition to start I get nothing but I do hear a solid sounding mechanical click followed by an intermittent faint high-pitched whine. It has remained this way for the past week every time I try to start it.
1. I opened the hood and disconnected my battery terminals. I wire cleaned the posts and the connectors, put battery felts down, the reconnected the terminals.
2. I got out my cheap multimeter and checked the voltage on my battery. It was 13.3-13.70 volts at static. When I turn the key to start my my battery dropped down to 7.0 volts. It goes back up to 13.7 volts once I go back to accessory, power on, and key locked.
3. I also tried to stay my Explorer in Neutral instead of park. Same results as 2 above.
4. Under the hood I opened the fuse box and located fuse #12 and relay #52. I test both and they work/function fine. While I had the box opened I went ahead and checked all the fuses. All good except fuse #17, a blown 20amp blade fuse which I replaced.
5. I even made a jumper wire and with relay #52 removed, I touched connecter 30 to 87. Same solid sounding mechanical click as if I were in the Explorer trying to key start it. I replaced the relay and closed the box.
6. I bought a new starter and installed it after removing the old one. Unfortunately I have the same results! Nothing but a mechanical click and an intermittent faint high-pitched whine..
7. Just to play it safe I finally got out a big ol' ratchet and 19mm socket for the front of the crank. I could not budge that thing to turn! Damn it!
9. What the heck! How does my Explorer drive perfectly fine like clockwork then all of a sudden it seizes up? I don't get it!

Are there any other things I can do to diagnose what it going on? I don't want to rebuild an engine with 205k miles on it. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something.
Oh, BTW, I took the old starter down to my box auto parts store to have it tested on their machine. It passed with flying colors.

Thanks, Rich.
first thing did you try jump starting it with another car? the click will be the starter relay the whirr is very familiar to me but not sure what that is if battery is dropping that low 7 volts 1 of 2 things the battery capacity or a cell shorted if you have a Walmart near they will check it and if you need battery there 1 yr warrantee battery is around 50 bucks i bought 3 for several cars now 2 held up 1 did fail very quick they gave me another 1 car has a 2019 in it, question is your pass red light on middle if das by windshield blinking you should see it at night key off door closed and battery connected . unless you heard a bad noise last time driving i doubt if its the engine
i did have a c10 which broke a timing chain on trying to start after making a delivery but i certainly heard iy
\i betting its the battery always load test ot try jump starting first, then cables before starter a lot of work you may have done
\it is not uncommon for battery to show full but cannot handle load good luck

Thanks, Rich.
> When I turn the key to start my my battery dropped down to 7.0 volts. It goes back up to 13.7 volts once I go back to accessory, power on, and key locked

I had the same problem one month ago. Change the battery and all will be right.

> When I turn the key to start my my battery dropped down to 7.0 volts. It goes back up to 13.7 volts once I go back to accessory, power on, and key locked

I had the same problem one month ago. Change the battery and all will be right.
How does that explain not being able to turn the motor with a breaker bar?

Thanks, Rich.
As soon as you described the sound and issue, knowing it's a Ford - the Bendix spring on the starter. The family had a 1970 F250 - 3-on-the-tree and 390ci. That was the most amazing truck I've ever encountered. It was a hand-me-down from the grandparents at about 70K. We sold it at about 250K, bought it back at 400K and sold it again. Besides oil changes, spark plugs, etc. it was always going out of alignment due to bad dirt roads and the "twin I-Beam suspension" up front (I don't miss that mess).

The other thing was the Bendix spring in the starter that engaged the gear to drive the flex plate. As soon as you turned the key and heard a "wizzzzzz" - sigh... there goes another spring. We probably fixed that a dozen times and the other owners at least a dozen.

The "click" is the solenoid engaging and the wizz is the gear spinning freely without engaging the flex plate. That's my guess and a pretty educated one based on many miles of experience as a kid who worked on anything mechanical. I sure wish I had that truck now - my favorite year, engine, and it was the gorgeous "Ford pickup green". The most dependable, durable truck I've ever seen from that era - and it wasn't babied or ever taken to a dealership. Not one time. In fact I'm looking at a sweet looking, nearly identical F100 with a 352 for $12K. My heart leapt when I ran across it.

Good luck my friend.

Thanks, Rich.
My guess is the engine is hydraulically locked. I suspect you have a blown head gasket and one of the cylinders filled up with coolant overnight. The clue is your inability to turn the engine over with a breaker bar.

Has it been using coolant?

The reason the battery voltage goes to 7volts when you engage the starter is that it's stalled. Do that for long and you'll fry the starter.

Start by pulling g your plugs and see if you can then spin the engine over. Coolant will likely shoot out of one of the plug holes. There's your problem!

Astrobuf

My guess is the engine is hydraulically locked. I suspect you have a blown head gasket and one of the cylinders filled up with coolant overnight. The clue is your inability to turn the engine over with a breaker bar.

Has it been using coolant?

The reason the battery voltage goes to 7volts when you engage the starter is that it's stalled. Do that for long and you'll fry the starter.

Start by pulling g your plugs and see if you can then spin the engine over. Coolant will likely shoot out of one of the plug holes. There's your problem!

Astrobuf
He already pulled the plugs…..

My guess is, this thread was revived 5 months after the last post and very few people have read all of the posts.

Thanks, Rich.
Howdy sorry you having issues I had similar issue mine was only clicking in dash while turning key attempting to start with no luck so i was stranded for days away from home.. It ended up just being loosen connection with blue ignition box with tiny wires that prevented it from starting.. Double check right under ignition under upper steering column right under collum beneath where key goes into ignition...

IMG_20220528_102957.jpg

Howdy sorry you having issues I had similar issue mine was only clicking in dash while turning key attempting to start with no luck so i was stranded for days away from home.. It ended up just being loosen connection with blue ignition box with tiny wires that prevented it from starting.. Double check right under ignition under upper steering column right under collum beneath where key goes into ignition...

View attachment 434872
How do these wires explain not turning over with a breaker bar? Do they lock the motors electronic braking system?

Thanks, Rich.
Do you have spark when trying to start- if not check CKP sensor front of engine near crank

Thanks, Rich.

Do you have spark when trying to start- if not check CKP sensor front of engine near crank

The motor doesn’t turn over. When is it supposed to spark?

I'm locking this thread because , if you are trying to answer, you did not read it.

If anything else is needed by the OP, send me a message and we'll open it again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back