Replacing 02 mountaineer transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing 02 mountaineer transfer case

dwonzer

Reaction score
I have an 02 mountaineer AWD that I am replacing the transfer case out of. Does anyone have any step by step instructions. Mainly I am looking for any torque specs and what type of fluids I should use but full instructions would be great. Thanks

I changed mine last year.. Here is what I remember...
1. Remove driveshaft
2. remove Y-pipe (exhaust just after the manifolds) Be extra caerful with the 4-O2 sensors on the Y-pipe.
3. remove the front driveshaft
4. unhook the vent tube on top of the t-case (just a rubber hose, pull it off)
5. Unbolt t-case and separate from tranny...

Its a pretty straight forward job but you will need a gasket that goes between the case and tranny, its a dealer only item.. I didnt torque mine just tightened the crap out of the bolts.. I also cant remember what I filled it with. I did a search on here and found the correct fluid.

Hope this helps. This job would be easy if you have a lift but I just jacked it up as high as I could get it and went to town. Two people is a must..

Jeremy

you dont really need to get a gasket from the dealer a bead of rtv will seal it up just as good

How much you pay for the transfer case??

My mountaineer is broken from the same thing but i dont know if is too expensive or what is the price and another thing is easy too replace or is hard tanks and wait for you answer...

Back