2003 Sport XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport XLT

Got an explorer sport XLT 2 door. It was in an accident recently. Vehicle tipped onto the left side and hit the guard rail but bounced back on its tires. Let's just say it left a crease on the roof. I'm looking the fix the roof. My thoughts are this: pull back on the door posts and quarter windows post if possible, then cut the rest off and make a canvas or fiberglass top for the rest. Any suggestions?
awI5lSs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ouch ! I thought my hatch was bad. You've given me hope for my 97.Good luck on this, I need to follow your progress.

You seem to be OK, I hope.

I don't think I can save the rear posts as they are bend in the most. The door and quarter posts aren't that bad. I think if I use a wench and straps I can gradually pull each out inline. I believe if I cut the worst section out and place a jack inside to push up it will easy the pull. The gate is totaled, not much to do but band it out and weld it closed.

Door posts are a real zonker. Like your idea of cut the rest off and make a canvas or fiberglass top for the rest. It looks pretty bad but a cool project. I don't know how your body shop skills are (mine stink) I think it could turn out pretty cool. Cutting the posts out and replacing I think you have to do. It might be worth it to get another rig with a blown drive train and straight metal. I imagine some sketches would be a good start. Maybe a couple designs, half fenders like a PU or a mini stake bed cool look cool. You've got me thinking now, darn you. LOL Some side views and a daydream through PhotoShop for basic ideas. Mine is a 97 4 door but if I come up with any ideas I'll post. You being in CT and me in NV means you'll have to kick it for me. :burnout: Is Chuck Barris still alive ? There are a bunch of good thinkers here so you should get a slew of ideas. Let the fun begin ! :party:

What a bummer, my post isn't here. Thought I clicked Reply for sure! Anyway, I thought it might be worth it to look for an Explorer with a shot drive train for usable parts. Using side shots in PhotoShop to to check out your design. Stake bed would probably be simplest but you having the welding equipment you could do a stubby pick up. Is Chuck Barris syill around ? :hammer:

I'll be dipped. Now the post is there. LOL Just a matter of timing

I ummmm, geezzz. Wow.
Not completely sure where to begin here.

Is it your intention to "fix" this and keep it as a daily driver?

There is damage there that is technically not repairable. Meaning you can't straighten it correctly it should be replaced. There is nothing on there that will be easy.
At that I really would not recommend attempting to repair any of that for any sort of daily use.

get a junk donor, cut them both in half at what you think is the best point(I would honestly right before the center structure) weld,bondo/puddy,prime, paint and be happy..but I feel the time and labor just isn't worth it...but itd be fun

I'd like to keep it as its the only vehicle with a hitch receiver. Had to buy a new vehicle anyways.

I would guess it had to have been totaled buy the insurance co. Which means (I'm guessing) it would have to be inspected for safety. My last 2 cars were titled restored or rebuilt. Never had a problem with either, don't know what they looked like before, but I know all it takes to total an older vehicle is the air bags deploying.

get a junk donor, cut them both in half at what you think is the best point(I would honestly right before the center structure) weld,bondo/puddy,prime, paint and be happy..but I feel the time and labor just isn't worth it...but itd be fun
No, no, no, no, no, good god no, for the love of god no, no no no, no.

Clipping and / or sections a car is is dumb, stupid, insane and idiotic.
There is not a manufacture on planet earth that recommends sectioning or clipping two cars together. It is completely and totally unsafe and incorrect. Do not do this.

I would guess it had to have been totaled buy the insurance co. Which means (I'm guessing) it would have to be inspected for safety. My last 2 cars were titled restored or rebuilt. Never had a problem with either, don't know what they looked like before, but I know all it takes to total an older vehicle is the air bags deploying.

That is not necessarily true.
Airbags being quite expensive are significant contributors to the overall cost of a repair are not the sole and determining factor in an older vehicle totaling. Many other factors could be and are at play in the process.

Knowing littel about the subject, how to they make stretch limos' ? Special frames ? Pull on both ends ? (Joking)

Knowing littel about the subject, how to they make stretch limos' ? Special frames ? Pull on both ends ? (Joking)
Unfortunately I do not know the real answer, but I can only assume that there is a series of reinforcements on the body and the frame itself is a specialty.

But I do like and appreciate your pulling joke. I actually laughed out loud and not just typed LOL.

I'll try harder, the least we can do is have some fun.Through some knowledge in the mix and were on our way. !
dancing-to-music-smiley-emoticon.gif

No, no, no, no, no, good god no, for the love of god no, no no no, no.

Clipping and / or sections a car is is dumb, stupid, insane and idiotic.
There is not a manufacture on planet earth that recommends sectioning or clipping two cars together. It is completely and totally unsafe and incorrect. Do not do this.
I clipped my 06 mustang 5 years ago I race it on the track as often as I can...been my daily driver...never had a problem.

Idk...it just depends if you do it right...and apparently in the eyes of the state of Illinois what I did was fine...just depends on who does and how it's done..everything can be restructured..even past factory strong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back