2003 XLT Front metallic "popping" noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT Front metallic "popping" noise.

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Noticed a metallic popping noise coming from the front suspension area. I believe it might be a exhaust heat shield but found nothing loose or even close to anything to make the heard noise. The shields around the cats are both tight and the shields behind the pipes are movable but not hitting anything.

It almost sounds like it did when the front ball joints needed replaced and I got that loud pop. Both are brand new and when stepping on the truck and flexing the suspension, I can't get the pop.

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to check? Can the heat shields be cutoff without much trouble? Could this even be tranny related or maybe the tranny support bar stretching??

I'm wide open for things to check!

Thanks, fellas!

*** forgot to mention that the popping noise is not a "heavy" metal type sound but sounds more like tin or aluminum. This is why I'm thinking heat shields but cannot find one that is moving or hitting anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be the sway bar links. I had some front end noise and found the bushings on one of mine were completely gone.

check for a cracked spring or broken strut

I got under the truck today and checked everything out. Nothing broke, loose, or out of place that I can see. While under there, I had the engine running and was hearing the pop noise but it seemed like it was coming from within the tranny!!!??? (it also pops when the engine is not running) Right in the tranny pan is where it seemed to be coming from. Is there a heat shield possible ABOVE the tranny that could be causing this? It makes no sense in the location.

Could there possibly be a baffle inside the muffler that could cause this pop? I tapped around the heat shield on the muffler and nothing was loose or no popping noises where noticed.

if its a steady ticking noise coming from the transmission, it may a loose flex plate bolt..

The heavier type pops are infrequent but I do have a steady light sounding noise that sounds as if the flywheel is slightly rubbing something. Can the problem you mentioned above be fixed in the driveway or does it require more of an experienced tranny person?

Back