2004 4.0L Broken Timing Chain - Engine Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.0L Broken Timing Chain - Engine Replacement

mncahill

Reaction score
City, State
Manchaug, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer SLT
6 weeks after I bought my 2004 Ford Explorer with a 4.0l the timing chain broke. No compression on engine, mechanic says it's time for a rebuilt.

Anyone have any experience with rebuilt? I've got to admit, I'm a little worried having to replace an engine with only 82k on it (my last explorer was a 2001 and it's still running with 230k). Are these bad engines?

Looking at Powertrain Products - anyone bought an engine from them? Anyone better to recoomend?

http://www.powertrainproducts.net/F...E-p/1573.htm?gclid=COnD3ePS3sECFZBi7AodA38A1g

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to hear it

They are basically the same engine, and the timing chain can be an issue with either.

82K is a little early for this failure, did you have any warning, ticking? If I am right this is an interference engine and I would do a swap over a rebuild, but everyone has their own opinions. CHeck LKQ wrecking yards, many warranty their engines.

You can get Spartan engines at advance auto for same price or a hundred or so less. Let them handle shipping core etc. And as stated above junkyard units are readily available.

No Warning

I heard a little noise a couple weeks ago at idle, took it to mechanic and there was nothing to hear. No noise since.

When I say rebuilt, I mean an engine swap as apparently all the crate engines are actually rebuilts. Mechanic wanted to go junk yard, but I want a warranty...can't eat another bad engine.

Good to know...

Advance is a little cheaper when you realize that performance charges extra for warranty.

Gonna look at LKQ as well. Will be sitting down and discussing with my mechanic tomorrow and we'll make the purchase.

Luckily ford said an engine replacement wasn't necesary in my case

6 weeks after I bought my 2004 Ford Explorer with a 4.0l the timing chain broke. No compression on engine, mechanic says it's time for a rebuilt.

Anyone have any experience with rebuilt? I've got to admit, I'm a little worried having to replace an engine with only 82k on it (my last explorer was a 2001 and it's still running with 230k). Are these bad engines?

Looking at Powertrain Products - anyone bought an engine from them? Anyone better to recoomend?

http://www.powertrainproducts.net/F...E-p/1573.htm?gclid=COnD3ePS3sECFZBi7AodA38A1g

Thanks!

Find out from Powertrain Products if that is a "rebuilt" or "remanufactured" engine in your web link or what kind of warranty you get with it. There is a big difference between the two. I didn't see anything mentioned on that page. Remanufactured is the better of the two, it's basically a new engine. For $500 more ($3200), you can get a reman motor from Ford with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty parts and labor incl. Remove and Install labor around $1600 at a Ford dealership, this should include the evacuation and refill of your AC system. You also want to check what new parts you get with that engine. Ford's comes with a new harmonic balancer, water pump, t-stat and housing, spark plugs and all new seals and gaskets and valve covers with most everything factory installed. They switch over your old intake manifold and re-use if good, your old exhaust headers and install new exhaust manifold O-rings and bolts. I would suggest having a new "Starter" put in at this time, since they are a PITA to change when the motor is in the vehicle. At a Ford dealership, you are looking at $5200 for everything. I had a reman engine installed a year ago at a Ford dealership and my old engine had the rear timing chain tensioner fail at 96K in mileage. BTW, you can get a reman starter at Advance Auto Parts and if you use their $50 off online coupon from www.couponcabin.com when placing an online order, you will save some bucks $$$ on the Starter price. I paid around $100 for my Starter after the discount. Lifetime warranty.

Thanks guys.

Reviewed with my mechanic. He had exactly the same advice as Exproblems: grab a fresh engine from Ford with a 3 year 100k warranty. This truck is uncommonly clean, and has absolutely no rust on the underside, so we're gonna go with the Ford reman.

The info is very much appreciated. I'll pass the starter tip on to my mech, although I'm now at the far extreme of my spending ability.

Truck is back

Okay, I have a remanufactured Ford engine in it with a 100k mile warranty. Right away, there's a huge difference in the truck. Much quieter...very smooth ride.

The bill in the end, including the tow, $5200. Considering the engine itself was $3500, I think I did pretty well.

Thanks to everyone. Your posts, both in this thread and throughout the forum helped me quite a bit with finding the right solution.

The bill in the end, including the tow, $5200. Considering the engine itself was $3500, I think I did pretty well.

The price you paid is pretty much dead on! Happy Motoring!

I had my 4.0L rebuilt due to timing chain failure at 100K Miles. Ford dealer wanted $5000+ gave it to a local mechanic, bought all the parts at rockauto.com, and total cost was $2800 with labor. Instead of only doing the timing chain we replaced all the gaskets, and other parts as well

Back