2004 Ford Explorer timing chain tensioner was replaced, and it won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer timing chain tensioner was replaced, and it won't start.

newell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 xls
I have just installed a new timing chain tensioner on a ford explorer 2004 4.0 engine.

It cranks, but will not start.

If the crankshaft was moved during installation, say a full 360 degrees, could this be my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it for you. It sounds like the timing gears are not set in the proper position with the marks. Did you check the markings before you closed it up?

Thanks for responding.

Haven't moved the gears, can't see any marks on them.

The car was running before the tensioner was replaced.

Could the #1 piston be in the exhaust stroke rather than the compression stroke?

reset the crankshaft pulley at tdc.
still won't start.
i did'nt touch the timing chain, or camshaft chains.
just replaced the tensioner in front.
can't figure out why it won't start.
cannot locate timing marks on jackshaft sprockt or crankshaft sprocket.
there are some letters nad numbers but no marks.
what did i do wrong?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are no timing marks on this motor. The timing has to be set with a special tool that holds the cams in place, as the timing is variable and held in place by the bolts that mount the gears to cams. If you loosened any of those bolts, you'd need the tool to get the timing back in place.

But if you didn't mess with any of that, and just replaced the tensioner, then my guess is somethiing like a sensor, maybe the crank position sensor?

Do you have spark? Get an old plug, pull a plug wire and see if the old plug sparks when you crank it (lay plug so its touching metal, so it has a ground). If no spark, I'm guessing its a sensor not connected properly.

If you've got spark, didn't mess with the chains or gears at all, and have fuel getting to rails, then um, I give up. But did you check fuel? Sure you're getting fuel to the rail?

One last thing? Still have your old tensioner? I need it, even if its in pieces. I'll pay for shipping of course.

Thank you Russ

I will try your idea.
You are certainly welcome to the old parts.
Don't worry about shipping charges.
I NEED YOUR SHIPPING ADDRESS.
thanks again: NEWELL

Hi guys... Did u figure was was wrong I'm braking my head.... 2004 won't star after timing chain tensioner replacing ... Please help...

Back