2004 battery light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 battery light

f4i954

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac
first post on here, looking for help for a friend, thanks in advance.
i searched the forum but found nothing.
i found lots of charging problems but no info on the batt light.
one year ago, bat was replaced, batt was dead and original, so i just decided to replace it, 6 mounts after dead again, i tested voltage at the alternator (10 volts), removed it, took it to a local shop, bench test it, and was good (14 volts), charged the battery installed the alternator back and was good for another 6 mounts.
no voltage at the alternator, replaced it with a reman and its charging now, i did notice the battery light on the instrument cluster is very dim with key on, goes out when engine running witch is normal.
the question is what can cause it to be dim?? i did replace the cluster 4 years ago with a used one, don't recall if it was dim back then.
i tried finding a diagram with no luck, does this have a basic system or is it controlled by the engine module?

Assuming that the other warning lights are illuminating normally when the key is turned to the "on" position and only the battery light is dim, best bet is the lamp itself needs to be replaced. Not sure if that location uses a #168 /194 bulb as the main lighting for the rest of the cluster does; you may need to remove it and run it down to the parts store to find what it matches up with.

Not sure if it's your issue, but I had a similar alternator problem. Took mine out and at the alternator repair shop they put it on the test rack, and told me the alternator was fine.
Repair shop told me to rough up the alternator pulley a little (sandpaper nothing to rough) along with checking the belt to see if it might have a glaze on it. If it does hit it with the sandpaper. I tried that, and my alternator problem was fixed. Apparently my belt was slipping.
At least it was a free fix for me.

Thanks guys, i will check this weekend the belt and will change the cluster bulbs around to see if there is any difference

thanks

Back