2004 EX with electrical Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 EX with electrical Problems

Scout3

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Park. Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
Trying to help a friend at work with a strange problem with her Explorer. Drove fine one night. Next morning CEL light on, door locks, radio, windows, interior lights inop. Gas guage reads "0" even though plenty of gas. Message center shows only dashes. codes read P0463 and P0579. Vehicle runs okay. All fuses check good. Battery connections clean and tight. I have read that this year does not have a GEM module. Any clue on what would cause such a list of unrelated failures all at once? Thanks.

Ed

Any info would be appreciated. Going to try and figure it out tomorrow.

Ed

I don't know that they are related. The first code has to do with the sending unit for gas in the tank. It's a Ford defect. My 05 has ha this for at least 2 years now. Gauge works most of the time.
The second code has to do with the cruise control.

As far as the lights and dash, if I recall, the last person posting with this type of issue ended up having a bad PCM/ECM.

Have you had the battery tested? Could be a bad battery and or alternator.

Number 4,

I disregarded the codes but included them in my post because they are the only codes displayed. First thing I thought of considering the random nature of the electrical failures was the battery and its connections. All check good aand a quick check of the battery and the charging system at the auto store all check good. I agree it looks like some form of computer or control module type of failure. In doing surfing the net and this site it looked like a GEM module, but according to some the 2004 Explorer does not have it. I did read something about a Security module for the 2004 and wonder if it is the same thing just renamed. Thanks for your input and ideas. Anybody else have any suggestions? Thanks everybody.

Ed

Back