2004 Exp 4.0L No Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Exp 4.0L No Start

camoxjeep

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exp
Friends Exp wont start. The other day drove home from work to get something, went inside and came back out and tried to start and it wouldnt do anything. Turn the key and nothing. When you turn the key to crank position only sound you here is relay under dash clicking (just twice for each key postition-not continuous). Checked the battery-fine. Tried to jump start it-nothing. I have all power inside-lights windows all gauges work. Took the starter out and had advance auto check it and they said it was fine. I tried the screwdriver across the two big terminals on solinoid and the starter turns but doesnt engage with the motor (not sure if its supposed too without the small terminal involved). Checked for power between small terminal and larger negative terminal on solinoid with key turned to crank position and no voltage at all. Could this be the ignition switch or PATS system? How can you check the ignition switch? thanks

Also this has the factory security system. when you dont have key installed it blinks as normal. (led is on top of dash in middle by windsheild-no other security lights). when you turn the key to crank the led stays on continuously (no blinking).

You answered your own question. It sounds like the passive anti-theft doesn't like the key anymore, and won't let it start (which, is what it is supposed to do).

I could be *very* wrong here, but I am thinking if it totally drops PATS, the only recourse is calling someone (dealership, or a locksmith [cheaper]) to put it back in.

Also, check to see that there aren't several PATS keys together, sometimes they can interfere with each other. Check the key to see if the black part is cracked. If you have another key, try it.

All I know to do, dude, past that its' gonna be dead in the water, b/c you can't cut that thing out...

-Shawn

Try running a wire from the positive battery terminal to the small terminal on the starter solenoid and see if it engages the starter. If it doesn't, I would say it's the starter solenoid.

If you are testing the power at the small terminal, you need to test it to a ground on the vehicle because there are no ground terminals on the starter solenoid, they are both positive. One should have constant 12V and the other large terminal should have 12V when the ignition is in the crank position, that is if the small wire also has 12V in the crank position.

Also, I'm sure that the only people that can work on the PATS system is a dealer. A locksmith can cut the PATS keys and program them if there are two already programmed but that's it.

your having the same problem that my X is having. If it is the PATS system (which is what happened to mine) have it towed to the dealer cause thats the only ways to fix it. Also, when you turn the key to start it what does the security light on center dash do?

Back