• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Blinker issue

bchcky

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I have recently been having issues with the blinkers in my 2004 Explorer. Some of the time, they work as they should (signal left, front/rear left markers flash etc). Other times though, the light is steady. So say I signal for a left, the light in the dash, and the actual markers on the front and rear of the car will be steady. They will not flash, they will be on, but will not flash.

Initially I thought it could be a bulb out, but I've checked them all. Also, this happens the same on a right or left turn, so it is likely not a bulb issue on just one side of the car. Lastly, I had replaced a rear blinker about a year ago, but when that went out, my indicator was that the blinker in dash would flash faster, not stop.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might want to check the owners manual for a flasher relay, the part that does the flash, don't have the book with me so i can't tell you where.

And if I locate said flasher relay, how do I tell whether or not that is the problem?

On the 2000, it is up behind the hood release. Mine went faulty last week.

I had it hung down on its cables and whacked it with a screwdriver when it stopped. Put a new one in last night. Problem solved.

I looked at the book, but i didn't check our truck to verify, it looks like its on the back of the fuse panel, lowest one and it should look like a small black box, only way to test is see if you can swap with one just like it, for testing. They should have the same numbers on them and pull one next to it and see if it makes a difference.

Bringing an old thread alive!!

I am having the same issue. We just bought this Explorer right before Christmas and I have no manual. Can someone verify where the relay is for me? Thanks!

I had the exact same problem on my 2003. I thought it was the flasher relay, but after replacing it, it didn't solve the problem. The problem ended up being a faulty multifunction switch. Replacing it fixed the problem.

Thank you alot!!

Good thing I found this thread...same problem here!

Back