2004 Explorer hits 200,000 miles!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer hits 200,000 miles!!!

1996B4000

Reaction score
City, State
Heathsville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 B4000 LE
2004 Explorer V6, 4WD, hit 200,000 miles today.

In the past 18 years, the only service has been:
-- regular oil and filter change
-- check tire pressure, oil, all fluids weekly
-- replaced rotors and brake pads at 180,000
-- replaced gasket on 4WD transfer case
-- replace serpentine belt every 24 months
-- replaced a/c compressor Jan 2022
-- 100,000 mile service -- plugs, filters, some other stuff
-- flush brake fluid every 2 years
-- service transmission at 100,000

Runs like it did when it was new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

congrats on the 200k!!!! 320k here, still runs well!!!!

@1996B4000 Congratulations on 200,000! Yee yee for Explorer life!

Like @mountaineer2004 said, expect to have plenty of maintenance coming up; major repairs/rebuilds become routine maintenance every 200k or so. It's surprising what you can get from these Ex's just by making sure the various oils and fluids get changed regularly, but over the years, engine heat and weather conditions will eat away at plastics and rubbers, so be sure to stay on top of those!

Here's to an other 200,000. Happy Explorations!

It's surprising what you can get from these Ex's just by making sure the various oils and fluids get changed regularly
oh yeah man! mine is still mostly stock most of what was changed was preemptive until last year it was original starter LOL and most everything in this is stock! fingers crossed i can push 400 LOL well see. either way, these are tough!!!!! keep it up man, and let us know when it crosses 300!

266K here still going strong

So cool! Glad the (slightly) newer ones hold up too! You bought it new? Hope you post a pic of it. With taking good care of them, only remaining enemy is Rust! (and other drivers ) Mine's only 176K, with the miles I drive, will be a while before I get there...

Except for the alternator, which went bad at 175k, my Mounty held out, with just routine maintenance, till over 200k. But then almost everything seemed to need replacement.

Transmission, transmission cooler, all control arms, radiator, transfer case, egr, heater control valve, throttle body, moonroof, power steering pump, power steering cooler, rack and pinion, steering column, fuel pump. Some really big jobs.

Recently noticed body rust developing above right rear tire. But I still have it, at 279k, and it's still running as my daily driver. I maintain my car well, and would drive it to Cali tomorrow if needed.

As a matter of fact, I just returned from a 3000 mile trip. Albany NY to Fort Lauderdale FL. A/C (original) humming all the way. What a vehicle!

Good job congratulations hopefully The 2004 we have here we will last that long

It is a minor miracle that you have never replaced a wheel bearing and the original rotors and pads lasted 180k miles! I would do transmission services at 40k-50k mile intervals going forward and service the transfer case at the same time. A drain and refill of the front/rear differential wouldn't be a bad idea.

Overall, it looks like you got one of the good ones to see so few repairs over eighteen years and 200k miles.

I have a 2003 Limited that just passed 220,000 and not more because we got a couple new cars so it's driven less. About the only real maint done on it this year was new plugs, coil packs (just because it was easy), PCV valve, fixed a stubborn intake leak (buried deep in the engine), and general turn up including cleaning the MAF sensor, a complete scrub clean of the throttle body and IAC. Still runs like the day we bought it

I bought a 2004 four and a half years ago from a guy; had 120k miles on it then, 143k now. RWD, V6.
I have literally had more problems with this vehicle than all other vehicles that I have owned combined in the last 35 years.
Rear wiper arm kept falling down.
Thermostat housing was leaking.
Heater hose T was leaking.
Alternator quit charging.
Two broken wires in driver's door loom; dome lights would not turn off.
Windshield washer pump quit working.
Rear diff made a ratcheting noise when turning under load.
LR door window regulator broke.
Several sway bar links and bushings were broken.
Valve cover gaskets leaked like a sieve.
EGR valve failed.
LF hub/bearing is loose.
Previous owner had harmonic balancer, brake pads at all four corners, water pump, radiator, upper radiator hose, serpentine belt, tensioner, and idler, and throttle body assembly replaced. All at a dealer.
I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs (twice), trans filter and fluid (twice), trans servos (AJ1E), PCV valve, thermostat housing, heater hoses, alternator, windshield washer pump, rear diff fluid, window regulator, all sway bar links and bushings, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, EGR valve, front timing cover gasket, front main seal, lower radiator hose, crank position sensor, coil pack, plug wires.
I cleaned the throttle body assembly. I have a hub/bearing assy bought for the LF, need to install yet. Need to replace rear pads and rotors (soon).
I still have an issue where it will kick and jerk when hot and under load. Keep trying to figure it out, not getting anywhere though yet.
It's for sale if anyone is interested! :cool:

Dang! That's a list. You hit the repair Power Ball lottery.

Congrats on 200K! I remember when that many miles was unheard of.
I take a photo of the odometer every 50K miles. Last one was 350K, hopefully both me and the truck will see 400K! I don't drive near as much as I used to, so we'll see.

Congrats on 200K! I remember when that many miles was unheard of.
I take a photo of the odometer every 50K miles. Last one was 350K, hopefully both me and the truck will see 400K! I don't drive near as much as I used to, so we'll see.
My 2004 w/4.0 SOHC was bought with 92K. Routine repairs done, starter, alternator, wheel bearings. Now has 190K, still running well. The REAL PROBLEM with givings accolades, or not, actually lies in the ability to predict the future, but I'm damn poor at it!

My 2004 w/4.0 SOHC was bought with 92K. Routine repairs done, starter, alternator, wheel bearings. Now has 190K, still running well. The REAL PROBLEM with givings accolades, or not, actually lies in the ability to predict the future, but I'm damn poor at it!
The Explorers and Mountaineers must be fairly reliable overall or there wouldn't be so many members here or so many of these vehicles wouldn't have been sold. I have owned 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th (the Edge is basically a downsized Explorer) gen Explorers/Mountaineers and they have all been very reliable. My most costly repair was dealing with a bad 5R55 transmission in a 2003 Mountaineer. I think opting for V8s keeps the engine problems to a minimum in these vehicles. IMO, the two main issues with them has been the 5R55 transmissions and the timing chains and guides of the 4.0L SOHC engines. Then again, nearly any large SUV has their own issues to deal with. Thankfully, Ford never put the 5.4L 3V in the Explorer/Mountaineer or there would be a lot more crying going on here.

I think opting for V8s keeps the engine problems to a minimum in these vehicles. IMO, the two main issues with them has been the 5R55 transmissions and the timing chains and guides of the 4.0L SOHC engines.
How do you about figuring out which model transmission you have. I have a 2003 4.6L V8 4X4 Limited that when it's cold outside has some delayed shifts (higher rpm before shift) from 1st to 2nd only. After it warms it it seems to be fine. I'm just curious if it's a sign of things to come or just live with it? It's been doing it for a couple of winter now and wondering if I'm just on borrowed time.

I'm reticent to change the fluid as it's the original factory fill and the tranny has over 220,000 miles on it and we all know what can happen, and has happened, to trannys that have not been regularly changed and you go to change a high mileage original fill transmission and it craps out in a couple of month. Even two of my local Ford service dealers strongly suggested that I don't do it with that high mileage on the original fill unless there was obvious signs of leaks.

How do you about figuring out which model transmission you have. I have a 2003 4.6L V8 4X4 Limited that when it's cold outside has some delayed shifts (higher rpm before shift) from 1st to 2nd only. After it warms it it seems to be fine. I'm just curious if it's a sign of things to come or just live with it? It's been doing it for a couple of winter now and wondering if I'm just on borrowed time.

I'm reticent to change the fluid as it's the original factory fill and the tranny has over 220,000 miles on it and we all know what can happen, and has happened, to trannys that have not been regularly changed and you go to change a high mileage original fill transmission and it craps out in a couple of month. Even two of my local Ford service dealers strongly suggested that I don't do it with that high mileage on the original fill unless there was obvious signs of leaks.
All 2002-2005 Explorers/Mountaineers have a version of the 5R55 and all of them suffer from the same issues. All 2006-2010 Explorers/Mountaineers with the 4.0L SOHC engine have a 5R55 transmission. If I had to bet, I would say you are in the early stages of transmission failure. Getting 220k miles on the original 5R55 transmission with no maintenance done to it is a minor miracle. I agree that a fluid change won't make a difference regarding its fate at this point. I would just keep driving it and babying the transmission until it fails. For all I know you might get another 50k miles out of it. The good thing is you have the V8 which is a very durable engine if it sees regular oil changes. These engines routinely last for 300k miles, or much more, in taxis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All 2002-2005 Explorers/Mountaineers have a version of the 5R55 and all of them suffer from the same issues. All 2006-2010 Explorers/Mountaineers with the 4.0L SOHC engine have a 5R55 transmission. If I had to bet, I would say you are in the early stages of transmission failure. Getting 220k miles on the original 5R55 transmission with no maintenance done to it is a minor miracle. I agree that a fluid change won't make a difference regarding its fate at this point. I would just keep driving it and babying the transmission until it fails. For all I know you might get another 50k miles out of it. The good thing is you have the V8 which is a very durable engine if it sees regular oil changes. These engines routinely last for 300k miles, or much more, in taxis.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can find a reputable transmission shop for the time, when it comes.

While supposedly the transmission was supposed to be maintenance free so I sort of believed that, I've been maintaining the engine religiously. Most everything that rubber or wear items have already been replace a couple of times. Just got done with a major tuneup this spring.

I'm just wondering, as I know it's not worth it to change the fluid, but just to take it to a shop and have them add some new fluid until it starts to drip out of the top check hole. That way if it is a little, or a lot, low at least I haven't flushed the entire unit. The stats on that one just aren't easily available to see if anyone has done just that.

Back