2004 Explorer (K) flashing O/D off light ABS light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer (K) flashing O/D off light ABS light.

joshuamcdo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT K
Hello.. I have searched the forums far and wide and can't seem to find a problem that is really close to mine so I figured I would post this out there and see if anyone can chime in.

I have an 04 XLT (Vin K Flex Fuel) Explorer w/ 131,000 miles on it. Everything is stock so absolutely no mods in the way of drive train whatsoever. It's also been regularly maintained in all aspects.

A few months ago, the ABS light started coming on and the cruise control would stop working. Shutting the truck off and starting it back up always made it work again for a short time and then the ABS light would come on and it would again stop working. I read it could be an ABS speed sensor so I ordered one and set it aside for a time when I could actually replace it.

A couple months later my wife comes home and tells me something else is wrong with the Explorer.
The O/D off light will start flashing and doesn't shift right.
Hangs from 1st to second and second to third.
It can also start shifting ridiculous hard off and on as well. Feels like it's slamming forward when it does shift hard.

So we stopped driving it.

I did some reading, and proceeded to change the ABS speed sensor on the left front. There was no change whatsoever. I even cleaned up what looked like earwax off the toner ring through the sensor hole.

I did some more reading and decided to replace the solenoid pack inside the transmission with a new updated one.

I then cleared the computer completely by disconnecting the negative terminal and running a wire from the positive terminal to the disconnected terminal.

When I dropped the trans pan. The fluid smelled good and was a clear darkish red. The magnet in the bottom of the pan had very minimal material on it. The solenoid pack looked good and had no brass shavings or showed any real signs of wear. I pre-soaked the solenoid pack before placing it in the transmission. I used proper torque on the solenoid pack and the trans pan bolts.

I filled it back up with what seemed like an excessive amount of fluid 5-10 quarts. But I assume it was because the transmission sat and drained even more fluid of the course of the week it sat waiting for the solenoid pack to arrive. Effectively draining the torque converter and everything else in between.

After all that work, the only notable change is that it seems the O/D off light flashes much sooner. It doesn’t take long at all to set it off but that isn’t science.

Growing tired of this I purchased a BlueDrive scanner and when it arrived I took the Explorer out for a drive and waited for the failures to occur.
When they did, I scanned all of the modules and came up with the following codes.

P0733 - http://www.obd-codes.com/p0733
B1352 - http://www.engine-codes.com/b1352_ford.html
P0745 - http://www.engine-codes.com/p0745.html

Having replaced the solenoid pack I doubt it related to that.
Having replaced all the fluid and filter and having done so on a regular basis, I doubt it’s that.
The line pressure solenoid valve I have not yet replaced but will as it’s cheap.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

J

I have an 03 explorer and had similar problems. I corrected the ABS problem by replacing the pressure sensor on the master cylinder. Cheap fix. (www.justanswer.com/ford/4laae-2003-...bs-light-the-front-two-sensors.html#re.v/327/)

On the other hand with the transmission, you might want to check the OD servo. These transmissions are junk and there are many posts with these types of problems. I bought an aftermarket fix and it is an easy install if you have the time and tools. I repaired mine back in 2012 and it is still running strong. (www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/)

Recently, I have noticed a shudder in 4th and 5th gear, but I never changed the fluid since it was new and I think this is my problem.

Additionally, you may have a torque converter problem or bad abs sensor which requires the front bearing to be changed out.

Hope this helps,
bizzs

I have a an 02 mountaineer that has the o/d light flashing and check engine message. I'm going to try to change the torque converter. That may be your problem also. I will keep u posted on my progress.

Back