• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer stereo problems

Burban02

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Just picked up an 04 explorer... Radio stays on no matter what. Keys out of the ignition, any door has been opened. No matter what I do it stays on and drains the batt. Any helpful suggestions or wiring diagrams on the switching of the deck would be very helpful. Also the turn signal just gives a solid light and no flash but the hazards work fine. Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The turn signal is more likely a flasher relay, I had the same problem with a Dodge Durango years ago.

try pulling out the radio if it's not stock and see if there's a hack job being done to it. there's a wire that connects to a switched ignition (with retained accessory power - RAP) and constant power that must have been improperly connected.

It's the original stereo in there. Seems like something was switched . Do the doors have any effect on the stereo turning off?

It's the original stereo in there. Seems like something was switched . Do the doors have any effect on the stereo turning off?
Yes. The radio is supposed to stop when you open a door. IIRC this function is in the instrument cluster but door switches are a known problem, along with broken wires in the hinge area of the drivers' door.

Ok so what's the process of elimination here. Start at the door ?

Start with the instrument cluster. Try to force a, "door open" idiot light by starting the engine, putting it in gear, and opening the driver's door. If no light, search for "door switch" Threads.

Ok in gear and not in gear it operates the interior light fine and shows "door ajar". What's the next step?

Black with pink

You just proved the door switch is working and the instrument cluster recognizes it. Now you seek another cause. I don't know enough to troubleshoot the whole problem. I just told you how to eliminate one of the likely causes.

Black with pink shows up as the wire which changes whether the radio is on or off. Look behind the radio, attach a voltmeter to bk/pink and open the door to see if that voltage changes. If it does, the radio is bad. If it doesn't, it's either wiring problems or some microprocessor module.

m7dgz7.jpg

Unless someone hot-wired this radio to always be on I think your "Delay Relay" is stuck on.

167t5qh.jpg

The flasher part number is Motorcraft SF633.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=386454

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391437543624

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IYK60M/

Here is a video on how to replace it, it's a real PITA to get to.

Ahhhh a delay relay would make sense to me. Is it located next to or near the flasher relay up under the driver side of dash?

Ahhhh a delay relay would make sense to me. Is it located next to or near the flasher relay up under the driver side of dash?

Looks that way...

2yw7349.jpg

Being that you're having problems with two relays in this area at the same time I have a small concern. I'm hoping you did not pick up a flood vehicle.

Thanks to all so much for the help and info! I'll do some checking and testing and let y'all know what I find... Please continue to add thoughts if you have any

Ok good things today! I had sprayed some lubricant in the door latch. Saw this done on YouTube in an effort to free contacts within. Thought it hadn't worked, too my door apart to troubleshoot wiring in the door. Came back a day or so later and radio switch working!,! One down! As far as the blinker I had already ordered a new turn signal assembly but I figured I'd try the relay first...sure enough fixed the blinker problem.! Last problem everybody. Truck has a low/rough idle. Any thoughts on action befor I just start throwing money at it? Thanks again to all for your helpful input

Back