2004 explorer xlt transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer xlt transmission problems

Nand12

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hi Ive had a 2004 ford explorer xlt for about a month and half now. It has about 450 miles on it. Two times when i tried to shift from park to reverse,the truck wouldnt go into gear and i had to give it gas to get it to slam into gear. This only happened twice and the second instance happened far apart from the first. When driving, the transmission shifts firmly and on time and theres no slipping. I had the truck at the dealer on monday of this week and the tech went ahead and road tested the truck while monitoring the powertrain performance. He also hoisted the truck on the lift but he said everything was normal and he couldnt find anything wrong. I was wondering if my problem was one of those freak problems that just happens and then goes away. The dealer where i bought the car is a great dealer and their service department is good. Thoughts please.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

may need to be broken in or something wait a few thousand miles and if it does not work than take it back also check the fluid

having similair problem

I bought a 2004 xlt about one month ago. It was used with 11000 miles on it. I would notice the same issue with shifting it from park to reverse. But the biggest issue I have noticed is when in reverse. Take backing out of my drive way or out of a parking spot... when I am fiishing my revers and turn the wheels, I hear a clunking noise and the truck grabs hard. I cannot tell if it is the tranny or differential. I took it in to the shop and it took about 15 min to happen for me to show the service repairman. It was in for a week. They said it was the transmission computer module. had it back for a week with no problems, and now same issue. It will be going back, Ill let you know what they find. Very frustrating though.

You both have the 5R55W transmission, the one without a dipstick. It is my understanding that the shifter (from the column, through a cable, and then to the driver's side of the tranny) is connected to a shift position sensor (the black box on the side of the tranny). I'm wondering if this sensor has corrosion on the electrical contacts or something like that. Have either of you been driving in high water or mud?

Brain said:
Have either of you been driving in high water or mud?

Goodness gracious me, why on earth would they be driving off road? ;)

If the tranny were an FOAD I would say to check the filter and make sure the fluid isn't foaming either by a loose or defective valve body or maybe incorrect fluid.

Anything that would cause a pressure drop.

Thanks for the replies, i found a tsb for the reverse problem and the dealer is going to do the tsb work to my vehicle. Basically it involves replacing the solenoid because a bunch of 04's had defective solenoids installed in them. By any chance do you have a rough idle with your 04 explorer? And by rough I dont mean when the idle fluctuates (mine idles steady at 700 rpm but its not smooth) but rather does your vehicle shake/shudder when its idling? Thanks in advance.

hard reverse

I am having the same problem (hard reverse), the dealer has had my car for 3 days now.

Before I told them what car I had I explained my problem he know exactly what year and model my car was.

I am wondering why they do not have a recall on this.

Nand12 - please find out the TSB number so we can post it on the Board for all the other 2004 owners!

back from the shop again

Sorry for the late reply, work is hectic. I just got it back from the shop again. I wish I would have read the replies while it was in the shop. They replaced the tranny computer module the first time and said it was ok, Well I had the same problem again. They said there was an updated code/program that needed to be installed to the computer. They checked and no recalls existed. I have driven it for a full day now and no problems so far. I did however notice a rough idle, excatly how you described it. Transmissions are not my specialty so I really appreciate all of your help, and knowledge. What is a tsb?

one tablespoon:)
Technical service bulliton (SP)

Yes and that was the exact thing I was recalling there was a tsb fr... reflashng the computer!

If the trannie without the dipstick is the 5R55W, is the 5R55E the same but with a Dipstick as my 03 has, is that the only diff?
And why no dipstick?

Th 55W is a single piece case design (as is the 55N). I am investigating other possible differences but the guts appear largely the same to me, far as I know now. I do not know why the lack of dipstick

The case for the W version has bigger bores for the servos that activate the bands. They pretty much maxed out the size of servos they could put in the A4LD/4R55E/5R55E cases with the ZC coded servo cover (2.3" diameter). So it's not just a 5R55E without a dipstick ; )

Why don't manual transmissions have dipsticks? They have fluid too...?? Why don't differentials or t-cases have them? I think it is because of the service interval. Since the engine oild is changed every 3-6K miles, it is nice to have something easy to check, but when the service interval is like 50K miles, the dipstick just takes up room, adds one more place for somebody who doesn't know any better to stick windshield washer fluid into, and adds another $2 to the cost (the last reason is probably the biggest factor).

Brian, I love that dipstick answer.

Bigger question though, is the bolt pattern on the 4.6 really different than the 4.0 SOHC? Why did Ford do that, I thought the modular engines were supposed to share parts, improve interchangeability. When do you think an aftermarket company will start correcting some of these symptoms with a kit. I am hoping Transgo does.

If you want to see the two bolt patterns for the transmission bellhousings, that is how I started off my thread on a hybrid tranny (A4LD, 4R55E, and 5R55E parts in the same unit). The only difference in the bolt pattern is the pocket for the starter (it still bolts up, just can't get the original starter to fit in).

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117793&page=1

Cool. Brain, my thought was, can a 5R55W bolt to the SOHC 4.0 using a V6 torque converter? I have plans to have a SOHC work vehicle, and a Mountaineer with the V8 &5R55W. I'd like to have a spare, and it would be nice to have one spare for two vehicles.
Also, what might you and Glacier991 know about the 4R70W's in the 95-97 Crown Vics?
Don W

I've noticed that the TC's are a little bit different, but I'm not completely sure of all the differences yet. I'm going to add to the hybrid tranny thread when I get pictures shot and know how to fit it up so it will work.

Thanks, this chassis will be a 99-01 4x4 SOHC for my 93 Limited. I'd rather hunt a couple of 5R55W's for it. This is a mail vehicle, and I think I'm pushing my luck with the A4LD(106,000). I'm really tired of doing brakes every nine months. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you still having the problem? I got mine back from the shop for the second time and after one day, its doing the same thing?

Thanks

Back