2004 Ford Explorer ABS and 4wd Light questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer ABS and 4wd Light questions

dogcmp6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey guys, so I am buying a 2004 Ford Explorer, and I had it in for the inspection through my mechanic this morning. He mentioned that the Front Right ABS sensor needs to be replaced, and the 4x4 system is throwing a few codes as well.

My first question is, if the 4x4 light is flashing codes, will it disable the 4wd system from engaging (The truck does have 4x4 auto)

My other question is, what are the odds that the ABS wheel sensor is causing the 4x4 system to code? also if the 4x4 system is coding, will it disable the 4wd, or does it depend on the code its self?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can tell you I just replaced my ABS sensors for my Ford Explorer by myself recently and it removed my ABS light off my dash. If you have a 4WD then you have a front left and right abs sensor and just 1 rear sensor located on the differential in the middle of the differential. You can change all 3 yourself for around $170. To replace the rear differential ABS sensor you will have to remove the spare tire to reach it and just use a socket wrench and it snaps off the connector. I don't know if it will remove the 4x4 light but you might want to start there. The 2 ABS sensors on the front are fairly easy to remove you just have to jack the car up on the jack and remove the tire and the rotor, you do need to have a socket set and a hammer to hit the rotor around the hub to remove it if it is rusted on. Just go on youtube and see how it is done, that's what I did

I can tell you I just replaced my ABS sensors for my Ford Explorer by myself recently and it removed my ABS light off my dash. If you have a 4WD then you have a front left and right abs sensor and just 1 rear sensor located on the differential in the middle of the differential. You can change all 3 yourself for around $170. To replace the rear differential ABS sensor you will have to remove the spare tire to reach it and just use a socket wrench and it snaps off the connector. I don't know if it will remove the 4x4 light but you might want to start there. The 2 ABS sensors on the front are fairly easy to remove you just have to jack the car up on the jack and remove the tire and the rotor, you do need to have a socket set and a hammer to hit the rotor around the hub to remove it if it is rusted on. Just go on youtube and see how it is done, that's what I did

Well, what I found out since I posted this is, the codes only happen if im in 4x4 auto, if i put it in 4 high before i start driving the 4x4 system will work (for how long, im not sure, I only tested it for a block, and through a turn because I didnt have the right conditions to test it in and didnt want to f up the 4x4) as far as changing the sensor goes, thats the first thing im going to try, I just have to find a 3 ton jack and jack stands so I am able to jack it up

Well, what I found out since I posted this is, the codes only happen if im in 4x4 auto, if i put it in 4 high before i start driving the 4x4 system will work (for how long, im not sure, I only tested it for a block, and through a turn because I didnt have the right conditions to test it in and didnt want to f up the 4x4) as far as changing the sensor goes, thats the first thing im going to try, I just have to find a 3 ton jack and jack stands so I am able to jack it up

As you figured out for yourself, 4 wheel drive still works with an ABS sensor warning on the dash. Yes, the ABS sensor is causing the other sensor warnings as well, like the "4x4 high" icon to flash and a Advance Track Off icon and screen message as well, if you have that kind of system, I do. I have a faulty left front ABS sensor causing the issues I mentioned above, but I can't find too much wrong with the hub assembly (bearings) itself. I took the ABS sensor off of the wheel hub itself, cleaned up the contacts and that made the ABS warning go off even worse than before. Before the cleaning, the ABS warnings would go off when I hit a certain bump in the road every day or so, but after the cleaning, it goes off immediately when I start the engine. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did with the cleaning attempt. I plan on changing the hub assembly sometime soon before winter hits.

Also my ABS light problem started when my front left hub bearing started going bad. I had to replace the hub, my hub bearing got so bad it almost broke off my rim. I began hearing a grinding noise and then my car started wobbling. Looking back now I think the bad bearing damaged the sensor and I drove that way for a few months because I did not know my bearing was bad until the bearing got worse and was finally apparent By squealing and feeling my car vibrate. After the bearing was replaced I went ahead and changed all 3 ABS sensors myself. I think your front left hub bearing is bad maybe like mine was and the 4x4 is not locking onto your bad hub properly causing light to come on in 4x4 mode. You might not notice it yet but that bearing is going to get worse and hopefully it won't break off like mine almost did while driving. No BS I had to pull over and call a tow truck because of the noise and when I looked at the rim it was almost completely broken off. I don't have advancetrac so I'm not sure if you just have 1 rear differential sensor or 2 sensors for each rear tire.

Back