2004 Replace Timing Chains or Motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Replace Timing Chains or Motor

Grummpy

Reaction score
City, State
Hi I am from Perth in Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey Everyone! I have just got my first Explorer and I live in Australia and am experiencing some serious lack of information as the Explorer has not been around here since 2005.
Mine is a 2004 V6 4.0l and has the usual problem of Timing Chains. Parts in Oz are very expensive for these cars and seeing as I am about to pull the whole motor apart and not only do the Timing Chains, but while apart I am going to go right through it and do gaskets, pumps and have it machined if necessary.

My big questions is, I have found a lot of parts on EBay in the US that are very well priced and seem to have good reviews but I would love to hear comments on if Aftermarket products are as good as Genuine?

It is almost $800 for a timing chain kit down here, and just $180 from teh US, including Freight!!! So you can see why I need your help!

Or can anyone tell me which earlier EX 4.0 V6's will fit straight into my 2004

Thanks in advance
Grummpy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

long block replacement

Any Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 (Explorer, Mountaineer, Land Rover Discovery III, Mustang or Ranger) long block will replace your 2004 long block. If you don't want to swap the engine harness then stay with the 3rd Generation (2002 thru 2005) Explorer or Mountaineer. There are different configurations of intake manifolds within the 3rd generation so you may have to swap that out.

In my opinion the Ford OEM timing chain components are superior to the aftermarket ones. Some of the ebay products are junk and not worth installing (i.e. flimsy, thin, distorted cassette guides). However, there are some kits worthy of installing. This link may be helpful: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

If you decide to replace the timing chain related components PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the engine assembly instructions.

Aftermarket is fine. Ford doesn't make anything, they farm it out to the lowest bidder like everyone else. There are value line aftermarket parts, they'll fit form and function and in most cases be decent. But the aftermarket premium will almost always be better than OE. In most cases aftermarket are A) made by the companies that made the original or B) an improved design that fixed OE flaws (premium line.) the only time I buy OE is when it's interior plastic parts and that's because only they have it.

Cloyes

Edit - most likely the same exact product as OE (NAPA and elsewhere) just not the same price as OE.

Cloyes

If you follow the link in my first post you'll learn that I used to cautiously recommend Cloyes' cassettes after communicating with one of their engineers. I bought a set and found out they were made by Borg Warner and inferior to the cassettes I purchased as Ford OEM parts. However, the hydraulic tensioners were comparable in quality and the Cloyes tensioners may have had stronger spring pressure than the Ford tensioners. For those who only plan to keep their vehicle for a few years (which is typical) the Cloyes components are probably adequate.

Wow yo guys are good! Thanks for the information it is very helpful. I have been to the 4USA site and parts look reasonably priced, although the postage to Australia is a bit high. Thanks again and I look forward to your help in the future, I am sure I am going to need it! :)

Grummpy - the point is, that OE doesn't always mean it's a better quality. However, there are a lot of inferior aftermarket parts available out there. If a part is a really good deal, it's either stolen or crap. There is a cost to automotive parts you can't get around, unless you use less material to make them. Sounds like you may want to shop online, just don't get the cheapest part.

My only problem is I know and understand parts and who's good and who's bad in Australia, but it really hard to tell when I am shopping in the USA from Australia.

That's why it will really help to hear from someone that has purchased good parts because you most expensive parts are still cheaper than our cheapest parts!

I'd order from Amazon. I've never had an issue with them. Go with the Cloyes brand, you can research them at their website.. Be wary of an 'OE' item unless you are getting it from Ford, especially if it's under $300. Amazon was under $400 which is half the going rate in Australia right? Again, there are no good deals on parts, just good parts and crappy parts.

Thanks Number 4, Your help and advice is greatly appreciated, I will let you know how it all goes, hopefully starting thp pull the motor this weekend, Wish me luck!

parts

Thanks Number 4, Your help and advice is greatly appreciated, I will let you know how it all goes, hopefully starting thp pull the motor this weekend, Wish me luck!

Mate I'm in aus and have just had my engine out and did everything that you are going to do.All parts from over seas, either rock auto or amozon.You'll need the tool kit and cam tool also that wasn't in the kit.Look on amazon for that.I had to get 5 bolts from ford at $150 as I couldn't get them os.And make sure all gaskets are right size in kit as I found one gasket to be out by half a mm so measured and bought aftermarket {couple of bucks} but the proper size. All in all all products went in ok and motor sounds brand new nice and quite and good for another 180k {fingers crossed}.

Fantastic thanks Bluebaboy! What bolts was it you had to get, I have a couple of wrecks locally, it may be worth looking to see if they have them. Don't suppose you want to sell the special tools you had to buy, you can get some of your money back :) I was thinking of asking on here to see if anyone wanted to sell them.

Thanks again for your comments and help!
Andrew

I forgot to ask Blue, how did you find the timing gear to put back in? I intend on pulling the motor completely apart so hoping I can get it all back ok.

Thanks

Back